Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Is religion real? by americaneag

• Is religion a true thing (and in this case, which religion is the right one, among christianity, buddhism, hindouism, islam, judaism... ?) or was it an invention of men? A pure creation in order to enslave the people.

I agree with Bill Maher : I believe in God but religion is ball crap. All so called "prophets" are either liars or never existed.

Edit

#1 2012-11-11 15:36:52

Russia    NikoLStak

Re: Is religion real?

@maps12 

I'm not sure to what you are referring to... The credibillity of a unproven thing is zero to me. I only base myself on expectations and personnal values to say that universe is not absolutely useless.

#2 2012-11-11 01:03:28

United States    maps12

@NikoLStak 

How can man measure credibility of religion?  It's not like you have a base to start from, there are millions of possibilities for each event that happens.

#3 2012-11-11 00:59:39

Russia    NikoLStak

@SgtPeppers 

They are all as believable as the others... Claiming that something with no evidence is true is more annoying but is not less credible. That's not because I claim my speakers are awsome that this theory is less credible than the one that don't claim it.

#4 2012-11-08 20:43:16

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NikoLStak 

No, it is the way thing work in Philosophy and basically any other discipline you care to name, where and unsupported position that something is true is less believable than not believing in it. The equivalent position on the other side would be asserting that the thing doesn't exist without presenting any support, rather than simply disbelieving until evidence is presented.

#5 2012-11-08 20:08:23

Russia    NikoLStak

@SgtPeppers 

That not how it is, that's how you see it. It don't make a single difference to me.

#6 2012-11-07 23:16:05

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NikoLStak 

The lack of any claim to truth is by definition more plausible than a position which does claim truth, that's just the way it is.

#7 2012-11-07 22:19:21

Russia    NikoLStak

@SgtPeppers 

Not believing that it's own theory is true don't make it more plausible...

#8 2012-11-07 18:20:08

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NikoLStak 

If it is a question of plausibility, then the atheistic position becomes the inevitable default, as it makes no claim to truth.

#9 2012-11-02 20:56:00

Russia    NikoLStak

This is why this debate is endless. None of the humanity's theories about big mysteries of this existence are plausible, none can convince the others.

#10 2012-10-30 02:05:23

Canada    SgtPeppers

@maps12 

1. No, I use the well established guidelines, and my definition has been the standard one since David Hume
2. There likely wasn't a before the big bang, but the religious assert that god caused the big bang and that requires that time exist in which he can do it, either way, God is outside of nature as he is claimed to be able to violate the laws of nature

#11 2012-10-30 01:58:44

United States    maps12

@SgtPeppers 

It seems like you set your own guidelines for what can and can't, and truly you don't know if there was a before before the big bang.

#12 2012-10-30 01:56:48

Canada    SgtPeppers

@maps12 

No, scientifically unexplained events are not miracles. Miracles must violate the laws of nature in order to count, otherwise anyone can assert anything (say the Virgin Mary's face showing up on toast) as a miracle. As for the big bang, NO NO NO NO NO some being did NOT have to cause it, I have explained this at length on this and other threads and I have no intention of going through it again, if you want a detailed explanation, look at the early pages of this thread for my first posts. Also God is not part of nature, as he is asserted to have existed prior to the big bang and the big bang is the threshold for what constitutes nature.

#13 2012-10-30 01:49:49

United States    maps12

@SgtPeppers 

Was not it a miracle that the big bang happened, did not some being have to cause it?  Your atheism is clouding your judgement.  Is not God part of nature.

Last edited by maps12 (2012-10-30 01:50:08)

#14 2012-10-30 01:47:04

United States    maps12

@SgtPeppers 

You do not know how many miracles were or were not recorded, now do you.  Miracles are, by definition, scientifically unexplained events which are caused by a higher power and result in the saving or helping of a person, peoples, or group.

#15 2012-10-30 01:45:49

Canada    SgtPeppers

@maps12 

As for your sites listing "miracles", they lose all credibility when they list the origin of the universe/mankind as miracles, when these are extremely well documented NATURAL phenomena.

#16 2012-10-30 01:43:34

Canada    SgtPeppers

@maps12 

Not a miracle, as spontaneous remissions occur, not often, but on occasion. If anything, these "miracles" disprove the modern idea of interventionist gods, because the remissions occur in Christians, Muslims, atheists, Hindus, Jews etc at roughly the same proportional rate (i.e. where christians are most of the population, most of these cases would be christians, but where Muslims are predominant, they will have the higher rate). Some people just have luck and a strong immune system on their side.

You also clearly don't wish to adhere to the definition of miracles. A miracle is an event which defies the laws of nature BY DEFINITION, spontaneous remission is a relatively well understood (if highly rare) phenomena but IT IS NOT a miracle

Now if the child in question regrew lost limbs, I might agree you had a point, but there is not a SINGLE documented case of someone healing from something which should not be possible to heal otherwise.

#17 2012-10-30 01:29:10

United States    maps12

I've got sites that list miracles, not sure how credible they are though...

https://christiananswers.net/dictionary/miracle.html

http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_59.html

#18 2012-10-30 01:23:59

United States    maps12

@calibur 

A child with a severe disease saved by not having treatment at all.

#19 2012-10-30 01:21:41

United States    calibur

@maps12 

SUCH AS?

#20 2012-10-30 01:16:36

United States    maps12

@calibur 

Miracles DO EXIST, it is just a matter of seeing.  Small ones happen everyday, others are big and happen only once.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com