Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Is religion real? by americaneag

• Is religion a true thing (and in this case, which religion is the right one, among christianity, buddhism, hindouism, islam, judaism... ?) or was it an invention of men? A pure creation in order to enslave the people.

I agree with Bill Maher : I believe in God but religion is ball crap. All so called "prophets" are either liars or never existed.

Edit

#321 2011-04-19 20:37:50

France    fra2591

Re: Is religion real?

@Derka oh and dude THANK YOU for the song I've been listening to it all day ! I just had seeex, and it feeeelt  so goood. hump  oh yeah

#322 2011-04-19 18:23:31

Norway    Jpreisser

The Abrahamic God isn't described as a bearded man in holy books, but as a very spiritual and ASEXUAL "thing". Also, in all holy books what he does can also be taken metaphorically :
for example in the bible, God created the world in 7 days : light, then water, then animals, then man...
Well if you think about it that's exactly what happened in the evolution!!!
And NO Abrahamic God has influence on this earth according to the texts. It has influence on the after-life, which can also be taken as a metaphore if you are a strong minded atheist . Oh and :

"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."  Albert Einstein : even some of the greatest minds of our time beleived in God.

The Abrahamic "god" is CLEARLY a man and the bible is clearly biased towards men. Start with the beginning:Genesis 1-31 where "god" is described as 'he' 6 times. He also refers to us as mankind and created us in 'his' image. He creates man first. If you read the bible without bias you will also see the subversion of women and you will see that the vast majority of people favored by "god" are indeed males, unless it is women who give birth to males. Also the covenant wich binds the hebrews to "god" is circumsicion(sp) wich females can`t partake in.

We look like him as we were created in his image, so I think that gives the reader, very early on, an accurate description of this 'thing'. Just as Thor and Odin looked like Scandinavians you can see the similarities. Also your reference to things in the bible being taken metaphorically: Christians don`t agree to how to interpret the bible(hence the reason there is 33,000+ denominations) so that is mere speculation. "God" creates the Sun, Moon, and Stars after the Earth so you can clearly discern the fallacy in that.

Other Christians believe in a 'Young Earth' theory, cliaming that the Earth is only thousands of years old(something like 6 to 12k years). Do you believe that? I find it hard for a reasonable person to choose information written on scrolls thousands of years ago by hebrew sheephearders, written in the days of human intellectual immaturity, as opposed to modern scientific evidence wich is under constant scrutiny. Evolution doesn`t explain the origin of life, just the vast diversity within it and the adaptions needed to survive(among other things).

We don`t have the answer to the origin of life but "god" has nothing better to contribute to the answer. We find answers when we look outside the religious box.

"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."  Albert Einstein : even some of the greatest minds of our time beleived in God.
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie wich is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me wich can be descibed as religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." Albert Einstein.

Last edited by Jpreisser (2011-04-19 18:35:22)

#323 2011-04-18 22:51:24

France    fra2591

@Jpreisser It's not because the "Abrahamic God" is pictured like this that it's not real :

god.jpg

The Abrahamic God isn't described as a bearded man in holy books, but as a very spiritual and ASEXUAL "thing". Also, in all holy books what he does can also be taken metaphorically :

for example in the bible, God created the world in 7 days : light, then water, then animals, then man...

Well if you think about it that's exactly what happened in the evolution!!!
And NO Abrahamic God has influence on this earth according to the texts. It has influence on the after-life, which can also be taken as a metaphore if you are a strong minded atheist . Oh and :

quotemark1 "I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice." quotemark2 Albert Einstein : even some of the greatest minds of our time beleived in God. wink

#324 2011-04-17 21:56:10

United States    Snow_Dog

I do not think religion is real, I think mankind created god(s) to explain phenomena that they couldn't explain at the time. Science seeks to find explanations with observable proof, it tries to take the human element out of study, and to be as objective as possible. I don't believe in any god because of the problem of evil and the fact that if he made us in his own image, wouldn't we all instinctively believe in him?

#325 2011-04-17 04:19:23

Norway    Jpreisser

kazak wrote:

@Jpreisser so billions of humans&animals can be created by an accident or implosion in space,why can't have God been created the same way,will you say that only whats on earth could have been created from nothing

Anything is possible but there are some things that are very unlikely i.e. an omnipotent, omniscient god. The Abrahamic "god" is clearly false but the idea behind it are remarkably similar to everything that has come before and since. That is that conscience has clearly shaped the actions of these "gods". The utter lack of evidence is another reason for me not to accept the possibility. Outside of our already pre-conceived notion of what a god is and does some people revert to personalizing a god and/or putting it in a metaphysical state wich we and our feeble-mindedness can not comprehend.

The more we figure out the less god seems to do, thus diminishing the possibilty. I am sure that humans weren`t created from 'nothing', though I don`t have the answer, I don`t think saying 'god did it' solves anything. You have to prove these things. Science is in its infancy but we do know that water and carbon are at the basis of life and we have a very good grasp of the workings of evolution. Very similar things could have happened elsewhere but wouldn`t "gods" essence be similar to ours if that were true? Not unless there was an unexplained cosmological transformation of sorts that took place.

Also evolution explains that it takes time to develop the necessary tools to survive in your environment so when did god start it`s evolution? Evolution also counters the belief that you need something smart to create something smart, since we all had simple beginnings.

Last edited by Jpreisser (2011-04-17 04:23:40)

#326 2011-04-17 02:37:17

United States    Reyo

Religion and its teachings are a ploy for power. Always have been. I dont believe that "God" or "Jesus Christ" were divine beings in anyway. If Jesus really was a person who was crucified, why was he the special one and not the hundreds of other jews who were crucified. A lot of christians dont even realize Jesus was a Jew. Somewhere a long the line the belief in god went from trying to be a better person to mindless worship. I dont believe in a God of any form because the things that Mankind does, would not be permitted to happen if "GOD's" word really existed.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Last edited by Reyo (2011-04-17 02:40:55)

#327 2011-04-16 08:04:31

United Kingdom    kazak

@Jpreisser so billions of humans&animals can be created by an accident or implosion in space,why can't have God been created the same way,will you say that only whats on earth could have been created from nothing

#328 2011-04-14 20:42:05

Norway    Jpreisser

fra2591 wrote:

@Jpreisser why do you keep saying god isn't real? why are you so sure about that. we live in a crazy world you know... we are a specks of dust in the infinite univers.

Because the concept of god is human intellectual fantasy. Various cultures around the world have all had their own concepts of god(s). Usually these gods are created within the likeness of their culture. Our concept of god currently, is usually a reflection of the Christian concept of god. Judaism is a proven fallacy and with that, Christianity and Islam are fallacies, as are the prevailing religions attached to it(i.e. Mormonism). What else does that leave?

If you put all the religions of the world on the same plane, wich one is most likely true? Answer: none. Religious people and some agnostic types assume that it takes something big and smart to create something big and smart, especially life but religions evidence is contradictory. In the same breath; if god is an omnipotent, omniscient being then what are its origins? That factor cancels it out as a possibilty for me.

#329 2011-04-14 17:06:56

United Kingdom    kazak

Magic man or magic planet,once there was absolutely nothing which caused a big bang and hey presto,earth then a little big bang and the moon,perfectly postioned,accidents always bring good things,i'm thirsty said earth,so it scoured space and found ice,which was exactly exactly enough for planet earth and it was full of micro alien thingies,which when defrosted turned into tadpoles,then frogies and then monkeys,yes really hairy monkeys,then grew and grew into humans,but some frogs voted not to be monkeys and were allowed to become.whales or prawns,elephants or mice,or flies or eagles,
so is it God or evolution hum

#330 2011-04-14 03:25:48

United States    Derka

@americaneag Um, I think that if religion was a private thing, it would be awesome. After looking at the mmmbillions and mmmbillions of (Carl Sagan) people killed in human history for not believing in god, or the right god, or the right version of the right god, or for possibly being a witch, or for not pledging absolute obedience to whatever leader of your religion, I and hopefully you can conclude that we would be better off with religion being a family thing, or even something you keep private in your own consciousness.

Organized religion can lead to bad things, and seldom leads to good things. It is in our nature to want to screw our neighbors over, not to help them.

I hope someone who holds belief in a higher power steps forward to call me a pessimist, because I have one thing to tell you.

I am a pessimist... I am enlightened... I have been shown the light...

and it is dark.

Nevermind

Last edited by Derka (2011-04-14 03:39:20)

#331 2011-04-14 03:10:55

United States    Derka

I think that we should abandon religion. The very fact that we cannot prove or disprove god makes believe or disbelieve in him irrational. I believe that those who SEARCH for god are noble, but those who blindly pray to something they have never seen or heard from are simply wasting the very short time we all have on this planet. Let's face it, we have already disproved gods existence (or at the very least, most christian beliefs about him/her). Its time we face the truth that the earth and the stars and the universe existed before humans... before there ever was a cluster of arranged molecules to think up what the concept of "god" is and make millions off of his/her popularity.

Take notice that your short life span in the house where you live, the suburb, town/city, county/province/state, country, continent, planet, solar system, arm of the galaxy, galaxy, cluster of galaxies, region of space, universe, in whatever else incomprehensible mass of everything and nothing that there is...

amounts to nothing more...

than the period at the end
of this sentence.

Then think,

do I really want to go to church today,
when there's a firefly marathon on?

#332 2011-04-14 02:01:49

France    fra2591

@Jpreisser why do you keep saying god isn't real? why are you so sure about that. we live in a crazy world you know... we are a specks of dust in the infinite univers.

#333 2011-04-13 19:05:53

Norway    Jpreisser

antonov wrote:

@Jpreisser It's an interessting point of view. The only thing that we can see and witness is religion. religion  However, nobody ever saw God...

But I think that "Is religion real?" means "Are the events and things said by religions real?"

That is exactly my point, sir. Religion is something that has been witnessed for many many years but the absolute lack of physical evidence for these gods, whom much more often than not, intervene in human affairs, is void. I can`t trust that and I don`t think anyone else should either.

In regards to "Are the events and things said by religions real?", I would say that some of the things said and done in the holy books are real. Ultimately god is not so it doesn`t matter.

Last edited by Jpreisser (2011-04-13 19:07:32)

#334 2011-04-13 12:29:09

Russia    DrDemosphen

I believe in God. But not in the God that is biblical. The message I got from a Bible is that God is narrow minded pro-jewish extremist. He always watching what I am doing in bed and going to punish me for following the very instincts he gave me. And Bible itself is a very contradictory book in itself. You can use it even to justify things it's directly forbidding. So I believe that there is a higher power, so to say, but it's beyond our understanding. We have to generally be good people and then we'll be rewarded after we dead

#335 2011-04-13 12:14:16

Russia    antonov

@Jpreisser It's an interessting point of view. The only thing that we can see and witness is religion. religion  However, nobody ever saw God...

But I think that "Is religion real?" means "Are the events and things said by religions real?"

#336 2011-04-12 00:27:34

Norway    Jpreisser

americaneag wrote:

@someguy What's wrong? If you believe blindly to every dumb story we tell you then you lost your ability to think by yourself. Sure you can be happy, but you can also be happy AND atheist.

Exactly! There are so many christians that remain blissfully ignorant of some of the simplest facts and questions regarding the bible. I have my beliefs constantly critiqued by christians who can`t even recite the author of their holy book(who actually does know?). It is a travesty. People should question the authenticity of everything, especially an omnipotent being. To answer the question: Religion is real, "god" is not.

#337 2011-04-11 22:07:10

United States    americaneag

@someguy What's wrong? If you believe blindly to every dumb story we tell you then you lost your ability to think by yourself. Sure you can be happy, but you can also be happy AND atheist.

#338 2011-04-11 18:13:21

Canada    someguy

I'm getting pissed : why do these atheist have to criticize the beleivers so much. I you don't beleive in God, or Jesus, or whatever, then just shut up!! What's wrong with beleiving in Jesus Christ? I'm very happy and I have a great life.

#339 2011-04-11 16:27:37

Poland    tomek

@americaneag How can you not believe in religion if you beleive in god? I guess you're christian : there is God, and then there is Jesus Christ. So Jesus is like a god for us! SO if you beleive in Jesus then you MUST beleive in religion... Nice website!

#340 2011-04-10 22:43:20

United States    americaneag

Is religion real?

Is religion a true thing (and in this case, which religion is the right one, among christianity, buddhism, hindouism, islam, judaism... ?) or was it an invention of men? A pure creation in order to enslave the people.

I agree with Bill Maher : I believe in God but religion is ball crap. All so called "prophets" are either liars or never existed.

Last edited by americaneag (2011-05-28 11:11:34)

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com