Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Is religion real? by americaneag

• Is religion a true thing (and in this case, which religion is the right one, among christianity, buddhism, hindouism, islam, judaism... ?) or was it an invention of men? A pure creation in order to enslave the people.

I agree with Bill Maher : I believe in God but religion is ball crap. All so called "prophets" are either liars or never existed.

Edit

#61 2012-09-16 18:08:50

Indonesia    Hephaestus

Re: Is religion real?

@maps12 

Basically, your lack of evidence of "His" existence is my evidence that "He" doesn't exist. Besides, the burden of proof is on the one who makes the claim, so you are the one who should present evidence on God's existence. Really, I hate being an atheist. Living in Indonesia where atheists are seen as satanic insane deluded maniacs, I hate being one here. That's why absolutely no one who knows who I am knows about my being an atheist, and everyone who knows about me being an atheist doesn't know who I am, see? It feels horrid, keeping secrets like this. But I do not ignore what looks like truth to me, I said that before.

But I still admit that there is still a possibility that God exists, that I have been wrong all this time, that I could go back to being a normal Muslim Indonesian 14 year old, really, that sounds nice. So please, give me proof that God exists. I really hope you can.

Last edited by Hephaestus (2012-09-16 18:10:15)

#62 2012-09-16 16:40:34

United States    calibur

@maps12 

*sigh*

The fact that there is no reason to believe he exists. What made you think he does?

#63 2012-09-16 15:14:49

United States    maps12

How could you guys see there is no God?
God is real, what made you think naught.

Last edited by maps12 (2012-09-16 15:15:12)

#64 2012-09-16 00:58:02

Canada    SgtPeppers

@calibur 

1: Human's ability to go against their instincts and what's seemingly best 

That is simply the result of a sentient mind, once brain function exists which is independent of instinct, the capacity for one to override the other is the result

2: Why the Jesus Messianic cult survived as opposed to all the others (I've yet to look into the others, but I assume it is something along the lines of they do not enfranchise the poor nearly as much)

Actually, it is a combination of luck and history. The primary reason was that it, unlike most of the sects in the roman empire, was both inclusive (not limited to jews, for instance) and monotheistic (no warring over which deity is more powerful). This is why it was picked by Constantine as the official religion of the roman empire and the reason it survived

3: As an explanation for the Bible's inaccuracies, that the details were messed up by time the way oral tradition and translation does, but the core message remained the same. This one seems least likely, but it's virtually impossible to prove either way. The game "telephone" provides evidence against it. 

That is not even close to true. For the gospels (for example), the older the manuscript you look at, the greater the number of "mistakes". Huge sections are missing, almost none of the miracles are there and in many cases the main message is totally different. The only way this changes things is if they want to defend the position that the divinity claims of Jesus came from a copying error (which appears to be true)

#65 2012-09-09 01:21:21

United States    maps12

Soo.. there should be a poll on this site about who thinks there is God and who does not.

#66 2012-09-08 21:35:52

United States    calibur

There are a couple of arguments that have been brought up to me for the existence of god and Jesus. I think they are obviously wrong, but I cannot pinpoint why.
1: Human's ability to go against their instincts and what's seemingly best
2: Why the Jesus Messianic cult survived as opposed to all the others (I've yet to look into the others, but I assume it is something along the lines of they do not enfranchise the poor nearly as much)
3: As an explanation for the Bible's inaccuracies, that the details were messed up by time the way oral tradition and translation does, but the core message remained the same. This one seems least likely, but it's virtually impossible to prove either way. The game "telephone" provides evidence against it.

Last edited by calibur (2012-09-08 21:36:56)

#67 2012-08-24 02:36:33

Canada    SgtPeppers

@maps12 

That is a major thesis in a book I read recently (The End of Faith, by Sam Harris). Basically he says that the Islamic world has to secularize or there will be a mass conflict over it. If such a conflict occurs, the answer is simple enough. Either we win, or we die, there is no middle ground.

#68 2012-08-23 03:16:35

United States    maps12

@calibur 

Why not believe in a world where the wrong will be punished instead of the wrong not being punished.

#69 2012-08-23 03:15:22

United States    maps12

@SgtPeppers 

Have you seen the rise of Islamist regimes in the Middle East?  Christianity is too weak so eventually Islam and atheism will have to clash or remain isolated.

#70 2012-08-23 00:43:47

United States    calibur

@Saqib 

What leads you to believe that such a day ever has to or is going to come?

#71 2012-08-22 23:04:13

Pakistan    Saqib

Justice is the only thing which is inaccessable in this world with full of its spirit, because in this world human beings do justice and being a human, definitely we commit errors and ommissions. Hense, one day will come in post death time when our deeds and sins will be calculated by a supreme authority and the right of justice will be presented at that day (dooms day) only. Therefore, according to me atheisism is questioned at this point. Because, if there is not such kind of day (according to religion, dooms day) then when we will get justice will full sense and completely? Is any himan can give us?

#72 2012-08-22 20:48:04

Canada    SgtPeppers

@maps12 

By now, thats just not possible. Western Europe is already primarily atheist, especially Scandinavia. Even In the US, more than 50% of those under 30 have questioned the existence of god and worldwide church attendance has never been this low. Nothing about atheism is antithetical to order, prosperity or goodwill. It lacks dogma, tenets and a governing body, so it is, by definition, a personal position. Even spirituality in some forms is fully compatible with being an atheist, and since atheists are not compelled by anything to detest people of faith, even a nation of 90% atheists could remain secular

#73 2012-08-22 01:20:45

United States    maps12

@calibur 

I am sorry, I cannot say that there is no God, it goes against me.  We humans need a higher power, something to keep order, prosperity and goodwill.  Atheism will die out, or I believe so.

#74 2012-08-21 03:04:54

United States    calibur

@maps12 

Well, seeing as he either doesn't exist or never communicates with or affects the world, he wouldn't make a very good leader...

Barring the fact that there are two different major gods or pantheons and many minor ones with significant following.

Last edited by calibur (2012-08-21 03:05:54)

#75 2012-08-21 02:39:58

United States    maps12

@calibur 

As someone said on another debate  

man kind needs a leader 

God could be seen as the leader, this is not oppression, but humanely order.

#76 2012-08-21 00:31:30

United States    calibur

@maps12 

I'd say hope is perhaps boosted by religion, due to the baseless claim of a continuation of consequence afterwards reducing people's fear of death, but order, peace? You think that order and peace would be decreased with a rise of atheism, despite the countless religious wars over the centuries into modern times, the countless debates based in religion and using stuck religious convictions as their primary base?

#77 2012-08-20 23:11:08

United States    maps12

@calibur 

But athiesm is not the way.  It strips people of hope, order, and peace.

#78 2012-08-20 03:08:50

United States    calibur

@maps12 

Well, eventually, yes, it will.
Simply because more and more will realize that, unless we get real evidence of a deity, it is the most reasonable choice.

#79 2012-08-20 02:39:30

United States    maps12

@calibur 

Your an athiest, right? facepalm I swear athieism will wipe out religion.:=(:

#80 2012-08-20 01:20:04

United States    calibur

I am bringing this back up because my parents have forced me into a meeting with church elders in a few days, I must be prepared.
Argue please.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com