Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Society - Room 1
  • » Should abortion be legal? by Snow_Dog
  •    Pro life or pro choice?

I am uncomfortable with the idea of abortion, but I firmly believe that it should be the woman in question's choice, and she should be able to get one in a safe place. No one is proud of it, but it's better than hoping for an adoption or chaining your life back because you have to care for a child.

Edit

#41 2012-07-12 11:22:13

Germany    MrBeer

Re: Should abortion be legal?

It should clearly be legal imo.

I mean, it´s pretty much up to the woman to decide such things as long as the baby is inside her stomach.Of course abortion in the last few months should be against the law(When the baby gains a certain consciousness), but at first?Yeah, should be up to the parents.

#42 2012-07-12 11:13:16

South Africa    Spirovsky

@SgtPeppers 

Okay, but it still isn't a human being, I mean it still has to form a brain.

#43 2012-07-12 07:21:06

Serbia and Montenegro    cope

The question is simply wrong.

First off, to all the people wondering and debating when life begins, you should first agree on what life is. Given that there is no clear definition, as far as I know, you are all wasting your time. How can you decide when something begins when we don't even know what that is?

Second and to the point, the question is wrong. One can not answer with yes or no. Well, one could, but one would be wrong in both cases. The question should be of the form "Should abortion be legal within X months?" and if X=3 the answer is yes, if X>3 the answer is no. And there people can actually argue...

#44 2012-07-12 00:25:04

Canada    SgtPeppers

@Spirovsky 

Actually, an egg and a sperm only have half the DNA each, that way they combine to form the genetic code of one person. This is the reason for Mendelian genetics working

#45 2012-07-11 20:39:06

South Africa    Spirovsky

A sperm is merely a collection of the male DNA with a tail at the end of it, there is nothing in the sperm that allows it to make a conscious thought, therefore it is not alive. But still, I would have thoughts of "what if" if I was ever in that situation.

#46 2012-07-11 17:43:03

Canada    SgtPeppers

@Har-V 

I actually l;oct count of the number of assumptions you made in your first statement. You assumed the presence of God, you assumed that the child would always have a life worth living and several others came up as well.

#47 2012-07-11 04:02:03

United States    calibur

The base question of abortion is a simple one:
When does life begin?
However, it's not a simple one to answer.
Often, pro-life people cite the use of contraceptives. But, why shouldn't the contraceptive be considered abortion?
It's all a matter of when life begins. And, realistically, that's entirely subjective, hence why it's such a cause of friction.

#48 2012-07-10 14:05:15

Djibouti    Hirchman12

It should be up to the two who made the baby. The father and mother should be allowed to make the decision to keep the cell.

#49 2012-07-10 13:32:44

Philippines    Har-V

@Melliejoy 

When does life begin? I believe it begins when the sperm cell and egg cell unties to form a zygote. that's what my biology and religion tacher taught me.
When is it ok to terminate a fetus?
Its never ok unless your right with your example about a  mother or the baby and only one will survive during pregnancy, its up to the family.
Therefore,abortion is not a pro choice since you are abusing your Christian Freedom. I 85% agree with your argument.

#50 2012-07-10 13:18:07

Australia    Melliejoy

Well there are two things up for debate here:
- When does life begin?
- When is it okay to terminate a fetus?

Personally I believe life begins when the baby gets a heartbeat. Not at conception, but well before it's born. There isn't anything wrong with contraception pills, married couples use them all the time. That being said unless there's a 90% or more chance the mother or baby will die during childbirth there's not reason to abort.

There are thousands of adoptive families available and a human life is worth that legal road.

As for disabilities, well I used to wish my older brother had never made it through birth (he has sever Downs Syndrome and Autism) but whenever we see that stupid smile of his I know it's worth putting up with him. My mum agrees.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

#51 2012-07-10 13:05:40

Philippines    Har-V

@Onechoise 

So what if you are an accident, what's important is that they gave youa chance to live,to see who God is , and experience what LOVE is. Life is meaningless without a love of family?..are you sure? Your fmaily is only your guide,teacher but not your life,about billions of people in the world can give you happiness but I gotta admit, your family is the only one who cna give you love you wanted it to be along with GOD

#52 2012-07-10 12:31:24

Philippines    Onechoise

Pro choice because life is meaningless without love of family and do you really want to know that you were an accident

#53 2012-07-10 11:14:01

France    Lewis17

Of course ! I'd rather see a woman getting an abortion in time in a hospital rather than hidden in a cellar with Vera Drake's Higginson bulb syringe !

Pro-life, pro-choice: there is a denomination problem here. A pro-life person should be called "anti-choice", if you ask me ! Life should be valued but not at any cost.

With that being said I believe that if I were a woman I wouldn't be able to do it. This is just me trying to rational about it. Women who wish to get an abortion should to be protected. This is a deeply personal matter that should be discussed between the potential mother and her doctor.

I believe it is impossible to be in favor of abortion but a law has to exist. Abortion is a reality be it legal or not.

However I still have an issue with the father. It takes two to tango, right ? The baby is as much hers as it his. What if the potential father wants to keep it ?

Last edited by Lewis17 (2012-07-10 11:17:05)

#54 2012-07-10 09:01:00

Germany    Atreyu

I think abortion should be legal up to a certain time.
And I could care less,if the women want's the abortion because of a rape,because she wasn't careful enough or whatever.
Every women should get the opportunity of an abortion,no matter what the Reasons are.

It makles more sense to me,to abort a baby instead of giving birth to it when it's absolutely unwanted or the women can't handle a baby.

#55 2012-07-10 05:35:08

Brazil    Leffa

I'm Pro Choice, I Belive that abortion should be legal (until the Forth month when the fetus doesn't have a brain) because the woman must have the Right of choosing what is her best interest even if it is her fault for do it without protection. It's her body and her life that will be changed.
I Live in Brazil and here we have lots of problems with poor people that can't take care of their own baby. Quite often is found corpses of babies flouting in lakes or in trash cans because people can't handle it. There are young people that just aren't prepared to take care of a child so they go to illegal places where they do the abortion without any support causing a number of deaths that could be reduced if the procedure were made at a clean hospital with real prepared doctors.
A question that i belive that is interesting to discuss, if a woman in stable relationship gets pregnant and the couple have financial conditions to raise a child but the woman doesn't want to have one and the man does want, he gets a vote, his opinion counts, or that decision only the will of the woman should matter?

#56 2012-07-10 03:55:28

United States    SummerG

Okay, I am pro-life and pro-choice, it just depends on the situtation at hand, If the girl who got raped couldn't handle a child, then getting it aborted wouldn't be a bad choice. If they couldn't afford one, then that would be an option as well. As for putting them in orphanages, I would rather be dead then go from family to family, and live not knowing my parents, even if they gave me out to a regular family, if I ever found out that they weren't my real parents and my real parents didn't want me, I would just rather be dead. All depends on the situation at hand.

#57 2012-07-09 20:18:37

Turkey    Amanda

When you think about it, it can go both ways. On one side,abortion should be legal because there are some cases that include rape. And stuff like that bounds to have some physiological effect and having a baby would not be in its best interests. But on the other hand, killing a baby before it has even had the chance to live is a whole different matter to think about. When someone gets an abortion, they are not even giving someone the chance to live. It is definitively not fair, because who knows what could have become of that little child? Maybe it had a wonderful future ahead of him/her, but no one will ever know. So, in my opinion, it can change.

#58 2012-07-06 15:36:06

Romania    RainyDays

@RoNation 

At which age do you think that "spark of life" can be considered a human being ?
Can the newly fertilized egg be considered a human being although it can not be differentiated from that of an animal ?
Can the sperm or the eggs be considered a future human being ? If they can I have some bad news: everyone is a murderer.

I support the right to abortion until the 7th week of the pregnancy.
But if the mother life is in danger abortion should be allowed at any time, obviously in the last 2 moths of the pregnancy the child can be intubated and survive. 

#59 2012-06-20 20:29:58

Canada    SgtPeppers

@RoNation 

And in doing so, you can massively overload an already overburdened foster care system, increase the crime rate and destroy the basis for women's rights and autonomy, all in one go. The arguments are more complicated than you make them out to be, don't simplify them to a single issue which has little bearing on the facts at hand. Those facts indicate that abortions are a necessary right and condemning people for having them changes nothing.

#60 2012-06-20 13:25:59

Romania    RoNation

You can't kill an inocent baby just because you don't want to raise him. You can give birth to him(her) and then give him at an orphanage.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com