Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Why People Believe by SgtPeppers
  •    Why do rational people believe religions

Whatever questions religion poses, the one which is hardest to answer is why people who are otherwise completely rational lose their minds over their unproven ideas.

This is not an argument over the validity of a religion, simply a question as to why it has the effect it has.

Edit

#21 2014-08-05 08:25:29

Taiwan (ROC)    Archduke

Re: Why People Believe

Weak. Powerless. Helpless. Unable to control their fate.

#22 2014-08-01 04:30:27

Canada    ostonolwe

@madd693 

But they are related. One finds a link between the regions with the highest rates of human suffering and their beliefs. whether the religion is the cause of the suffering or the suffering is the cause of the religion is unclear. what is clear however is that the two do go together.
a side note: some of the least religious region are the exact opposite which leads you to wonder what?

what you seem to have inconveniently missed in your list of genocides is the largest genocide in modern history. the residential school system and deaths of the indigenous people of north America are considered by the leading historians to be the largest genocide is modern history. this genocide is directly linked to the catholic religion as it was the propagator. by trying to convert the aboriginal in the residential schools the Catholics destroyed a part of the culture and many died because of it. the affects of their actions are still being felt. there is no blame that can be deflected here.

#23 2013-09-05 10:24:10

India    abyskaria

We, the people of one Earth, always have been thoughtful above in our head and inside ahead of this inner beats of one heart, that ultimately one role we needed commitment is the journey beyond time our circle of faith, worship and above all love of mankind fallen in the hands of the mightiest entity ever existence has gifted this only life we has something more to say in words. I may say many lead this search living wisely as much as enjoying a journey out of less and much grade for an existence we are born, in the pursuit of so called truth of a happiness in someones eyes. For many religion has been a ritual and followers stood before them like no merit ever greeted in hearts. Less than strangers, we have always questioned the minor quotes, yet the incomplete draft within laid, lead and lifted us some reassurance of the mightiest belief that ever rooted can move mountains as said in the scripture for thanksgiving. In many the search had a reason, the enlightened truth that has always covered simplicity of the role we note in the epic of a soul that has lead towards peace to be united with God. Yet we need to understand that here we are laid finally and search begins starting our darkest day of life onwards. Those who love to read, has this book: https://www.createspace.com/4417646/ titled as Epic Of A Soul. Thanks

#24 2013-09-01 11:13:17

United States    fernly2

Rationality is a process happening in the cognitive domain of which the noosphere is the rapidly accelerating demonstration of this domain.  (It's probably got to keep up with the expansion rate of the universe to survive.)  The most complex unit that we know of called the human brain is part of, made of the same stuff, and moving with the universe and as we begin to participate in the conscious terraforming of Earth and later other planets, etc. we recognize the Word within our hearts, we recognize ourselves within the Word; we recognize that the Word and we are finite but unbounded.  We celebrate and we worship the more rationally the better.

#25 2013-07-14 01:29:25

Habermas

It's a method of awnsering quistions, (Forgive my poor spelling). For example the Romans had hundreds of Gods one just for the doorway, it awnsers qustions like why is there the ocean etc.
Religion continues for that same reason and also those starting religions evolved, changed and grew. Ex: Judaism->Christianity->Islam
In the end there is no "Right awnser" though.

#26 2013-06-08 01:03:28

United States    syllogism

Hi... I'm a bit new to this site but I feel I must add to some input.

Anyways I think people believe religions because the alternative is not as 'hopeful'.  And hope drives survival, and ambition.  So thus religion gives people more reason to preserve and continue on in this world.

#27 2013-05-22 22:07:31

United States    American713

@NewAtheist 

And even the people who claim to take all their answers from religion are taking advantage of scientific discovery every single day. You are taking advantage of scientific discovery every time you wash your teeth or microwave a meal. 

Absolutely! I have to love science, particularly because my church invented it. I"m sure you are aware of the fact that Robert Grosseteste, a Catholic bishop, is credited with having developed the scientific method, which was later expressed using the language we use today (observation, hypothesis, etc.) by a Franciscan friar. Not to mention the Big Bang Theory and modern genetic theory were developed by a priest and a monk, respectively.  And the fact that to this day the Vatican pours billions of dollars into a laboratory/observatory it built. 
I think you give way to much credit to this "Age of Enlightenment." If you still think that religion as a whole is obsolete as a method of answering questions. Perhaps cracking open a Bible is, but not institutional religion. So, every time you go on Youtube to listen to a speech Richard Dawkins gave at some convention somewhere, remember he wouldn't be doing it without Middle Ages Christianity.
By the way, Catholics have never refused the theory of evolution. And I've got no idea what you mean by believing in God is a rehearsal of prejudices.

#28 2013-05-22 19:51:54

United Kingdom    NewAtheist

@American713 

Maybe religion itself is not obsolete, but it is clearly obsolete as a method of answering questions. Since the 17th century when the Age of Reason first started, we have evolved alternate, more rational ways than religion to answer questions about ourselves and the natural world, making religious views gradually obsolete. We have already seen the death (pretty much) of paganism and churches gradually accepting modern views (the Catholics accepting evolutions, Mormons letting black people into the priesthood, etc.) The fact is that as we find out more about our little blue dot, religion will have to accept science. And even the people who claim to take all their answers from religion are taking advantage of scientific discovery every single day. You are taking advantage of scientific discovery every time you wash your teeth or microwave a meal. Therefore, anyone who says that they base their religion on the search for answers is a hypocrite whose real motivation is nothing but blind faith.

I agree that there are some religions that do not teach about the natural world, but all religions require faith in some entity. This is inherently close-minded as it relies on the assumptions of another and is therefore merely a rehearsal of prejudices.

And thank you for not trying to speak for all religions. People who try to do that annoy me.

#29 2013-05-20 21:46:38

@NewAtheist 

I hardly see how religion has become obsolete. The points it always strives to address--man's relationship with God--are no less important today than millenia ago. With regard to your comments about "quick answers" I would contend that some religions have never made it their responsibility to teach about the natural world, and only do in instances when scientific research overlaps with moralistic and dogmatic principles.
    It is hard for me, and I must say this before we pursue the debate any further, to speak for "religion" as a whole when some of the things you cite certainly do apply to religions in which I do not believe.

#30 2013-05-20 20:36:53

United Kingdom    NewAtheist

Religion is merely a product of man's search for knowledge that has naturally evolved from our curiosity. The brutal fact is that we all want a quick answer, and religion is one of the quickest answers out there. However, this status as a "quick answer" could in fact be religion's downfall-- over time, and especially since the Renaissance and the Age of Reason, we have developed alternate ways of gaining answers and thus religions have gradually become obsolete. It has happened to pagan religions and it may well eventually happen to Christianity. And, sadly, religion does not in fact provide an adequate answer as any knowledge gained from it must be obtained vicariously through a god or gods and those who claim to be ostensibly arbiters of that god or those gods. Once the faith dies out the knowledge also dies out since the knowledge has been directly pursuant to that faith qua a source of knowledge. It does not extend our own thinking skills since it relies on the presumptions of another and therefore blocks out other conflicting evidence leading to a natural close-mindedness.

Last edited by NewAtheist (2013-05-20 20:38:10)

#31 2013-04-30 23:13:05

United States    visverbi

Religion, as diverse a field as that encompasses, is at base self-delusional.
But what is life worth without self-delusion?
Religion provides a meaningful backdrop to existence, one that allows for authority and independence, individual thought and community action.
As lisajackusd postulated, I believe correctly, a higher purpose in the ancient world may have been a survival technique more than anything. However, religion has certainly evolved with society to become what we know today, all of them complex social, moral and philosophical systems.
So religion provides meaning and structure in a unique way, as well as shaping the way we see our place in the world.

#32 2013-04-24 10:01:34

United States    madd693

@calibur 

What Im actually saying is that human suffering isn't related to religion in any manner, that religion is a scapegoat for it.

I haven't double posted anything.

#33 2013-04-24 05:18:09

United States    calibur

@madd693 

I never said or implied religion was the cause of human suffering. I said the inverse. Suffering is the cause of religion. Which is basically what you were saying. Hence my agreement with you.
I will adress your arguments FOR religion tomorrow.
I ask that you please cease double-posting.

Last edited by calibur (2013-04-24 05:21:37)

#34 2013-04-24 05:05:47

United States    madd693

@calibur 

Hence why human suffering and religion are directly proportional. 

That is completely ridiculous. So easily dis-proven that I can't believe even a 5th grade history student would make such a claim.

What 'religion' did Hitler use as his justification for slaughtering Jews?

What 'religion' drove decided ATHEISTS Josef Stalin, Mao Zedong, and Pol Pot to massive genicide?

Human beings, NOT religion, are the cause of all human suffering. Religion doesn't enter into it at all other than misguided justification in some, but nothing close to all, instances. People who use religion to justify their wicked actions are not acting out of religion but in opposition to it. They use the religion card as justification for their own evil deeds. 'The devil made me do it'. They are not acting in accordance with their faith, they simply want to deflect blame for their own actions.

#35 2013-04-24 04:44:26

United States    madd693

The question is poorly worded. You are confusing organized religion with spirituality.

Organized religions are created by mortal men. Even if you believe the doctrines are divinely inspired, the church itself is led by flawed people. There is no way around that. To blame the church itself on the flaws of the men who run it is a bad idea.

Jesus Christ was not a 'Christian', for example. He was a Jew. Yet the religion that accepts his teachings is not the same one he followed in his time as a man (which rejects his teachings)

Christianity didn't cause the crusades, men abusing their power in the church did. Islam didn't knock down the world trade center buildings, men taking a fundamentalist approach in misinterpreting the Quaran did. Don't blame religion for the failings of man. And don't ignore all of the GREAT things that come out of religion.

All of that said, rational people come to conclusions for various reasons. Albert Einstein, one of the most 'intelligent' people the world has ever known struggled mightily with the 'God question'. He believed in God as a creator but not from a personal relationship standpoint. While he criticized organized religious doctrine as 'child like', he was even more critical of atheists. Here is one Quote from Albert on the subject:

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."  -Albert Einstein 

So if one of the most intelligent humans who ever lived, and one who approached most everything analytically and critically, can state effectively that he can't comprehend the God question, yet his views of nature bring him to believe in a creator to the point that he loudly criticized people who used his words to support atheism then how can a 'rational' person reject God out of hand?

IOW, the irrational part isn't in believing, it's in rejecting the possibility.

That's probably much deeper than you intended this conversation to get, howeve,r so I'll back up a bit.

Taking just the Christian bible. There are approximately 2,500 prophesies in the Bible. 2000 of them have already been fulfilled. Exactly. Without error. Many generations, and in some cases centuries, after the prophesy was written. That's pretty powerful reason to believe what the book has to say.

Just as an example: in Micah 5:2 the prophet Micah foretells the birthplace of Jesus Christ 700 years in advance.

But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting. 

In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared that the Messiah would be betrayed for the price of a slave—thirty pieces of silver, according to Jewish law-and also that this money would be used to buy a burial ground for Jerusalem's poor foreigners (Zechariah 11:12-13). Bible writers and secular historians both record thirty pieces of silver as the sum paid to Judas Iscariot for betraying Jesus, and they indicate that the money went to purchase a "potter's field," used—just as predicted—for the burial of poor aliens (Matthew 27:3-10).

There are, of course, countless more examples. I give you two where the fulfillment of said prophesies is recorded by secular historians. The evidence of truth coming from outside sources, not just the Bible itself.

When a book contains 2000+ predictions that come true to the letter, 'rational' people tend to believe what that book has to say. With good reason.

#36 2013-04-24 02:55:11

United States    calibur

@TAHolt-US 

Hence why human suffering and religion are directly proportional.

#37 2013-04-24 02:38:56

United States    TAHolt-US

No offense to anybody who is deeply religions, just giving my opinion.

People want to believe in a God and an after life because of the fear of death and a meaningless-life. They want purpose and immortality. But religion also provides moral codes and a sense of belonging.

Religion is also used to explain the unknown. To give reason for mass deaths, and hope that this world is not the end. Fear is a main component of nature, and man will do anything to be to be in the good-grace of what he fears.

#38 2013-03-08 18:35:36

Russia    NikoLStak

@Huiban 

Well, there is a god, a life after death, and a proned lifestyle.
The difference is these 3 aspects of Buddhism are admirable.

#39 2013-03-07 23:50:52

@SgtPeppers 

I noticed this old post of yours and thought I'd try to "shed some light" on the situation. lol2
Photons are thought to be the first particles that came around after the universe popped into existence. They were around long before all the gases came together to form the sun.
If that answers your question.

#40 2013-03-07 23:43:23

@calibur 

You make such statements without giving examples.
If you are referring to moral teachings, I'll give you that. Many Catholics, including clergy, fail to live up to the high standards we set. But if you are referring simply to dogma, I would ask you to think again. If you simply find the idea of an intelligent creator irrational, this is going to be a hard sell.

But let me meet you halfway: Science.
The Church is often accused of being anti-science. Please study the following:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/badcatholi … gioff.html
With regards to rationality, I think you are acting very closed-minded and speaking only from your preconceived notions of all religions (Catholicism, literalistic Christianity) umbrella-ed under one banner.

Last edited by American713 (2013-03-07 23:46:23)

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com