Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Why People Believe by SgtPeppers
  •    Why do rational people believe religions

Whatever questions religion poses, the one which is hardest to answer is why people who are otherwise completely rational lose their minds over their unproven ideas.

This is not an argument over the validity of a religion, simply a question as to why it has the effect it has.

Edit

#41 2013-03-07 02:12:32

United States    calibur

Re: Why People Believe

That's because the catholic church neglects to follow the religion it espouses, and the religion they espouse is completely irrational.
among many other flows of illogicality...

#42 2013-03-06 23:27:59

United States    American713

@Huiban 

If Thomas Aquinas were here, he'd smack you.
I refer you to the Summa Theologica. There is one rational religion.
Now before you go all "You're a homophobe who hates women and science" on me, I remind you:
"There are not more than 100 people in the world who truly hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they perceive to be the Catholic Church." --Fulton Sheen

Last edited by American713 (2013-03-06 23:31:39)

#43 2013-03-05 17:55:23

Russia    NikoLStak

@Huiban 

I would say Buddhism, but it may only be a (positive)prejudice. I never heard that this religion is based on sacrifices and intolerence, like every others.. It would make of it one of the few(only?) religion which not ugly.

Last edited by NikoLStak (2013-03-05 17:58:47)

#44 2013-03-03 15:56:31

United States    American713

Rational people believe because some religions are rational.

#45 2013-01-23 17:31:39

Russia    NikoLStak

@Prospectus 

That's mainly why I got my own personnal religion, based on orthodox church. None can prentend to know what god is thinking, liking, or disliking. Those who claim god hate this and love this is heresy, claiming god support you for your own personnal benefit, like the republicans with the homos, and Al-Caida with their ''holy crusade''.
My worshipping toward god is passive, i'm rationnal enough to know that, as long as I don't do horrendous crimes, god don't care. I mean.. It's a god. How could he care about me having sex without marriage? It's ridiculous. And of course i'm very open to the possibility that he doesn't exist, and in reverse.

#46 2013-01-23 16:16:34

Lithuania    Prospectus

Yap Sean And Im here to stay ! :)

#47 2013-01-23 10:22:31

Ireland    irishgenius

@Prospectus 

Tomas.Finally!. applaud

#48 2013-01-22 23:29:29

Lithuania    Prospectus

Religion claims to have all the answers, and yet it fails to answer most of them . How can people believe in one fairy tale and not in the next. IT is stupid to think that people who are not religious see no purpose in life.

#49 2012-12-11 03:23:28

Germany    lisajackusd

I don't know, and apologise if so, if anyone has said this yet, but a factor may be evolution.
By creating a "higher purpose" people are united. And united people have a much higher chance of surviving in the world of the past (think around 30.000 years ago).
Following this, people who have a religion will survive, while people who see no purpose in life, and therefore will not work together, become few in number.

== ADMIN EDIT / SPAM LINKS DELETED ==

Last edited by admin (2012-12-12 01:21:50)

#50 2012-07-10 09:53:30

United States    OpenMedal

@jesuschrist 

This is morality without religion. Christianity has a distinct point in history were it started to grow, hence there was a time with no Christianity. Also morality is a product of the age it is in, right and wrong are constantly changing, look back only 50 years and you'll see who far the human race has come. 1000 years ago and you could stone a person to death for saying the wrong thing. Also, in the debate of religion vs. Atheism i often see the religious group being more harsh and calling names then having their argument stand on their merit as atheists do. People are not born with the understanding of wrong or right, programmed, if you will. Morality and everything else we are is taught to us, people often assume the opinions of the ones they are around the most, parents, friends, ect. In the end if there was no morality without religion then atheists like me would run rampant in the streets killing people, but we don't.

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"   -François-Marie Arouet

#51 2012-07-10 04:54:14

Jorgeharo24

I must say that in our modern society religion is completely unnecessary. In older times, they needed religion to explain what they didn't understand. Now that we actually have answers for how nature works, religion has just stayed because the church has way to much influence on people who have already been "infected" with the idea of a God. I believe the freedom of people to have a religion. I disagree with the idea of a gigantic organization like the catholic church which has way to much power and has lost all it's true meaning.

#52 2012-07-10 04:39:58

United States    EarleA

I think for many religion fills voids that cannot even be filled by the irrefutable proof of science. I believe that to many the idea that someone made us and is out there looking out for us is more attractive than the idea that we were just a product of unstable nothingness. I myself would like to belief that there is someone out there. I have found myself pondering whether I'm wasting my time or if I should try to make sense of it all. I guess that is the beauty of the human mind, we ask questions which will probably never be answered. hum2

#53 2012-07-09 21:13:21

Netherlands    ferox

@CommArtist

Well, I think that in our current society it does not matter whether a person believes or not, because the chance of survival does not longer depend on that.
Therefore, thereby considering the speed of the advancement of humanity, evolution has had neither time nor need to remove the part of our brains that makes us believe.

#54 2012-07-09 20:50:25

United States    CommArtist

@ferox

I agree with you, but I have to ask why then, in our society now depending on each other for survival economically and socially, why do we still need a sense of religion in our lives?

#55 2012-07-09 20:41:35

Netherlands    ferox

Well, the two answers below may certainly be of impact, but I do not think that is the sole reason for religion.
I don't know, and apologise if so, if anyone has said this yet, but a factor may be evolution.
By creating a "higher purpose" people are united. And united people have a much higher chance of surviving in the world of the past (think around 30.000 years ago).
Following this, people who have a religion will survive, while people who see no purpose in life, and therefore will not work together, become few in number.

#56 2012-07-09 20:35:22

Porcius

People are religious ,because they need something which is bigger than them and gives their life a meaning. Even profund Atheists who despise Religion at every opportunity have a kind of replacement for it. Some people like a certain singer , a footballteam or an ideology (Stalin even tried to copy the russian iconography for his campaigns). My personal belief is that they try to replace something which is missing in their lifes. I.e people who promote communism might feel a lack of justice in their personal lifes which they project to the whole world.

#57 2012-07-09 20:25:53

United States    CommArtist

In answering the original topic of why people believe religion (this may already be stated elsewhere, and if so, I apologize), I believe that the earliest human beings capable of logic and thought felt that they needed to have a purpose in their being. It's a common trait that we all seem to share at some point in our lives.

Take the Ancient Greeks, for instance. When you think of their civilization and philosophy, you realize how advanced they were in their thought process. Did they really believe in the all powerful Zeus or the sea kind Poseidon? I doubt it. These rational thinkers and scientists must have known that there were no all powerful gods ready to strike one down with lightning. So it comes to the point of simply wanting an explanation that one can latch onto until factual evidence is found stating otherwise.

Also, Christianity (if one looks solely toward the New Testament) is centered around the idea that hope will come to the downfallen. The whole concept of love and hope was directed toward the meek and the oppressed people who had fallen prey to the Pharisees and Romans. The thought that a God could love everyone would spark a hope and joy in these people who've lost everything else.

I myself have little to no belief in religion of any kind, but I do see how religion can play a serious part in someone's life when they are at their lowest point and someone tells them they are still loved by God. Just my thoughts.

#58 2011-12-15 14:19:31

Canada    SgtPeppers

@irishgenius 

No, there was no air, I explained already that anything before the big bang could not affect what happened after, so we can postulate any number of plausible scenarios that could have foamed the singularity.

#59 2011-12-15 14:16:08

Ireland    irishgenius

@SgtPeppers 

But not detailed enough!I still think that you think that everything just appeared out of thin air!lol

#60 2011-12-15 14:12:49

Canada    SgtPeppers

@irishgenius 

You idiot, I explained how that entire speculation is wrong.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com