Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Why People Believe by SgtPeppers
  •    Why do rational people believe religions

Whatever questions religion poses, the one which is hardest to answer is why people who are otherwise completely rational lose their minds over their unproven ideas.

This is not an argument over the validity of a religion, simply a question as to why it has the effect it has.

Edit

#141 2011-10-13 10:40:23

Australia    PatrickDup

Re: Why People Believe

@SgtPeppers Also what I am about to say obviously did not get through last night or a couple of nights ago. You say that atheists have a higher average IQ, a lower divorce rate and are less violent. For the violence part I would point you to Stalin and Lenin and the Soviet Secret Polices killings of millions of Tsarist Russian civillians, and later Soviet Russian and Soviet civillians in the millions. I make this point because as you would know, being an atheist, the Bolsheviks/Communists were also atheists. As for your divorce issue. I have about 100 relatives who are married and only about 3 or 4 who are divorced and the ones who are married range from newly weds to elderly couples. As for you lot being smarter, well. I consider myself a very smart person if I may say so. I am excellent at all things historical, geographical, lingual as I know English, Greek, German, Italian and some Basque, and all things military including military technology military history military tactics and strategy, from modern era and right back to around 2000 BC I think. I am also quite competant in many other areas that you would expect a 21 year old who has been through years 1 to 12 in schooling to know. Practically everyone on this website who I have had the pleasure of debating with I would consider smart or intelligent. And that includes you. But I must say that I am probably the smartest person I know of on this website. So I just blew away your assumptions about atheists mate.

#142 2011-10-13 05:36:38

Australia    PatrickDup

@SgtPeppers Haven't you considered that no matter how powerfull a God is, that if he was alone for countless years than maybe he would want to create for just the sake of not being lonely and for wanting to create. Us humans create things. We thrive on creation. Just because God he/she/it is very powerfull does not mean he can stand being alone for all eternity. In any case, something powerfull had to have created the big bang, and the most logical explanation is that something more powerfull than the unimagi9nably powerfull big bang must have set those gases and elements on a course to explode or expand as an 'Expansion' as you always put it.

#143 2011-10-12 23:48:53

Canada    SgtPeppers

@irishgenius 

A question mark and a smiley mean nothing, what are you trying to say

#144 2011-10-12 14:29:45

Ireland    irishgenius

? hum2

#145 2011-10-12 12:53:49

Canada    SgtPeppers

@PatrickDup 

All powerful is a paradox

It means that there is nothing god is incapable of

If he can do anything, then could he create something he cannot do.

If yes, then he would no longer be all powerful

If No, he was not all powerful to begin with

What motive would a god have for creating the universe, he has no needs, which means no wants, which means no reason to create something.

#146 2011-10-12 12:49:08

Canada    SgtPeppers

@jesuschrist 

Let me explain the christian methodology.

In every decision we make, a person weighs the risk (the likelihood of something bad occurring) against the hazard (how bad would it be if it went wrong). Christians have manipulated that system, forcing obedience with threats of hell. I this case the risk when objectively considered is pathetically small, to the point of being non-existent, but since they cannot prove the risk, they have raised the hazard to eternity in pain. So despite the risk being minuet, the argument becomes, "are you willing to risk the hazard".

Atheists have a far more strict, if a relative morality to adhere to, than christians.

#147 2011-10-12 12:02:54

Australia    PatrickDup

@SgtPeppers Well maybe he isn't perfect then. But he is still an all powerfull being that created extremely sophisticated creatures that evolved into ever more complex creatures and created the base elemental gases and other elemants that formed into planets. That was his plan. Or at least that is what I am open to and beleive. Just think about it. Something would had to have created all the original things that were apart of the big bang and set the universe on its course. I think it is ridiculous to think that the big bang just happened and popped out of nowhere.

#148 2011-10-12 09:53:05

United States    jesuschrist

@Sherlock you are saying that christians only do good actions because they want to be rewarded. This is untrue. And I think you destroyed your own argument. Like you said atheist can make good actions, eventhough they will not be rewarded (that's what they think. I believe they will). So why would christians do it only for heaven? Heaven opens his gates to the honest souls. By that I mean that one who only does actions in order to win his place to heaven is not pure soul. A true christian thinks about heaven, sure, but his intentions are pure. And like you said, I assure you that it is possible and that it is the case for a vast majority of christians.

#149 2011-10-11 23:58:06

Canada    Sherlock

@jesuschrist 

In no respect does morality come from "Jesus Christ" and his teachings. The bible is built on the sole belif that if you do good deeds and are a moral person, you will go to Hevan. This is a ridiculous thing to concider "moral" It is basically saying "Be a good person and you will be rewarded." Rewarded being the key word. It teaches people that everything in life that you do is in search for a reward. Morality is simply doing what is considered "good" for the sake of it being "good." Athiests, DO NOT follow the teachings of the Bible. I personally am an Athiest, and I do not do good deeds in search of a reward, I do them because they are good. Simple.

#150 2011-10-11 16:22:46

Canada    SgtPeppers

@irishgenius 

You haven't been to the American south, have you

#151 2011-10-11 14:12:34

Ireland    irishgenius

Because the majority are still smarter than the average bear crap

#152 2011-10-11 13:09:02

Canada    SgtPeppers

@irishgenius I have looked it up, although the number of religious people is in fact rising, the number as a percent of the world population has never been lower. 50 years ago Atheism was confined to the scientific community, now it has, in numbers and percent, more people than any religious group with the exception of roman catholics. As a whole group, I should add, we statistically have:

1. a greater average knowledge of any given religion than the practitioners of that religion

2. a significantly lower crime rate (compared to the region they live in)

3. A much lower divorce rate

4. Are more likely (almost double) to have higher level education, and/or an above average IQ

#153 2011-10-11 12:59:15

Canada    SgtPeppers

@jesuschrist 

Actually morality does not come from religion, morality far predates event the earliest of faiths. The laws that societies create are part of their survival. Take for example the laws regarding murder, the reason they exist is because society, religious or otherwise cannot survive if the death rate exceeds the birth rate, if it did the society dies. So laws were enacted to prevent people from killing whoever they want. As for christian "morality", the bible has no problem with rape (except of a married woman) or pedophilia, but says that homosexuals, farmers who plant 2 different crops side by side or a person wearing 2 types of cloth. As an atheist (though i despise the term itself) and moral relativist, I can assure you that the morality I and the large pool of atheists I know, have a far more strict moral code than any Christian I have encountered.

#154 2011-10-10 16:53:48

Canada    watson

@ jesuschrist
I said mortality (we are mortal beings, as opposed to being immortal), not morality, so really your argument doesn't relate to my comment.

However, I don't necessarily agree with the morality of Christianity either. I would argue that practising a system of ethics based on it simply being the right thing to do is preferable to Christian "morality", which is  practising a system of ethics based on the promise of a reward (in this case, an afterlife in heaven).

#155 2011-10-10 15:18:09

Ireland    irishgenius

As I said it is not in decline but increasing religion look it up geek

#156 2011-10-09 19:50:45

United States    jesuschrist

@watson It is quite the opposit. Without religion, there is no morality. All the morality living in every soul comes from religion. All the atheists in europe are moral beings because of morality that christianity has fed to their land. Look at harcore atheist : gays, pro abortion, pro everything that is not moral. Jesus christ showed us the way and even a lot of those who call themselves atheists still follow this way. For jesus's message is just perfect.

#157 2011-10-09 15:48:24

Canada    SgtPeppers

@irishgenius 

Religion is secular, that is a contradiction in terms. It is not only the real nut jobs, it is the entire religion, fighting its inevitable decline.

#158 2011-10-09 09:55:19

Ireland    irishgenius

That's the mental cases who tell you'll burn in hell if you don't believe.Religion is a secular thing religion

#159 2011-10-08 22:08:42

Canada    SgtPeppers

@irishgenius 

Ah the creationists first response "how did something come from nothing?". It is actually one of the craziest beliefs they hold. Science does not say that something has ever come from nothing, in fact just the opposite. The true irony is that that belief is actually what the bible says happened, god created everything out of nothing.

Religion is not a personal thing, I would not care if it was, it is something which is flaunted in the public arena. I do not understand why it is fine to question any beliefs someone holds, political, social and more than anything, scientific, however it crosses some imaginary line to question an outdated and dangerous belief system

#160 2011-10-07 15:34:24

Ireland    irishgenius

Man Religion is personal and does not make people ignorant many devout god fearing people believe in evolution,dinosaurs etc.thing is if you really think about it the universe had to be created for one how did does gases come about from nothing hum2

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com