Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Why People Believe by SgtPeppers
  •    Why do rational people believe religions

Whatever questions religion poses, the one which is hardest to answer is why people who are otherwise completely rational lose their minds over their unproven ideas.

This is not an argument over the validity of a religion, simply a question as to why it has the effect it has.

Edit

#161 2011-10-06 23:21:09

Canada    SgtPeppers

Re: Why People Believe

@fra2591 

I agree that this world and this universe is spectacular, but as Richard Dawkins has said, a belief in god serves only to trivialize that wonder, because all things considered, something that is forged by natural processes, its very elements forged in the hearts of stars is infinitely more beautiful than something that was simply made that way.

If you truly wish to appreciate the beauty around you, forget god, the universe is beautiful enough without help.

In seeing the wonders that humans have never seen before our generations, one cannot help but wonder why a creator is an attractive concept.

#162 2011-10-06 23:00:11

France    fra2591

People because they are afraid of the truth. That there is probably nothing after death, that we are machines, and however complex and fascinating our body may be, when we die, we just die. Nothing happens. They want to believe that there is life after death.

Also, our world is so incredible, its hard to think that God didn't create anything. I believe in God.

#163 2011-10-05 19:24:56

Canada    SgtPeppers

@PatrickDup 

Can I point out that, if god created everything and nothing is perfect, god cannot be perfect, because if something is perfect it not capable of creating imperfection, since if it did it would no longer be perfect

#164 2011-10-05 09:50:59

Australia    PatrickDup

@SgtPeppers It is not because i cant fathom the thought of this world without me, as I beleive that if we pass on we will not be interfering with this world anymore. It is precisely because of part of what you said, that you would want to be part of a beautiful world forged by billions of years of creation, that I do not want to stop existing. I want to experience this existence forever, or this world forever, even if it is in another kind of ascended life, where I can only watch this world we are currently apart of, at least I will still experience something, instead of not existing. I dont think that you guys fathom the thought of not thinking at all, of not creating things yourself at all, of being dust, nothing, and not experiencing anything, not even nothingness because you are nothingness, because all that remains of what you once were are the memories of the loved ones you left behind, assuming you had any friends left or you had kids and grand kids to attend your funeral and remember you, if not, because you were against procreation or wanted to stay a single bachelor for the rest of your life, then you wont even be rememberd by anyone. In an case, if you were only a common person and not someone famour, then even the memories of us will fade away and disappear, and there will be completely nothing.

So, I would rather exist forever in heaven, and be imperfect, as heaven does not mean perfection, only god is perfect, that is why he is God or at least he is perfect because he is a God, and be painfully bored and experience eternal monotony, that be nothing. And besides, if you were an asacended type being, you would theoretically be able to experience everything that happens on Earth to our descendants and to the rest of our race as it, and they, advances and evolves. And that is not to say that in heaven we will not continue to grow, if we went there as a baby or child, and does not mean that we will not continue to evolve, and become something more than our initial human form.

#165 2011-10-04 13:14:22

Canada    SgtPeppers

@PatrickDup 

You have described exactly why I am somewhat confused, because it seems to me that heaven is a punishment I would not condemn my worst enemy to, because:

1. Heaven is considered perfect, ergo nothing imperfect exists there, humans are defined by our imperfections, without our flaws we are indistinguishable from any other human without their flaws, in going to heaven you would lose everything you are

2. Eternity is a time frame we cannot comprehend, the first million or even billion years might be fun, but after a trillion you would still have the exact same amount of time left as you had at the start, namely eternity

I prefer a life on this beautiful planet, forged by billions of years of evolution, followed by the void, rather than a life of waiting for paradise, followed by eternal monotony

Why do you want different?

#166 2011-10-04 11:50:54

Canada    watson

Well, I think it is evident from PatrickDup's answer that those who turn to religion do not want to accept mortality. Humans value their lives too much to think that they may not exist one day. Most humans cannot fathom the world without them, so they grasp at religion as some sort of comfort that after they are dead, they will still exist, in heaven or some sort of alternate place. Of course, one could argue the rationality of this.

#167 2011-10-04 09:50:41

Australia    PatrickDup

@Sherlock Well I consider myself as a rational person, and one who beleives in religion, at least partly. I am agnostic I would say. I beleive in religion not because I want my life to have a reason to be, not because I want a protector, not because I am scared. I am nothing like that. I wanted dangerous jobs like the army as an infantry Leftenant at first and maybe more that that, I wanted to fight as a child, I wanted to prove myself fairly. But I simply 'Beleive', because I think the idea or possibility that if we die, and our brains, which are the centre of our thought and mind and logic and being, rot away, and we no longer exist in any physical form and therefor our being and consciousness and mind no longer exists, then we no longer exist, and that is the end off us, except if we left descendants which are us in one way but still not us, I think that is fucked up. I am scared of no longer existing and fading into the eternal abyss. I am scared of the eternal reality that has been an inevitable part of every single humans life since the begining of our race. The fact that everything eventually dies, and maybe no longer exists. I want to exist and keep on existing damn it. I want to experience war, and love and the cherishing of my own child and the passing of a loved one or friend, and the birth of my own, and all the special events in a persons life. 'FUCK', I want to even experience all that of my great great great grand children. That is my grand childrens childrens children. And I want to be able to hold them. I want to be there when we form a United World type organisation. I want to be there when we actually do get to the moon. I want to be there when Fusion power becomes more than just a protoype machine that works for a fraction of a second and shuts down. I want all that damn it. That is the simple reason i am religious or at least agnostic and try to beleive in something. That is what I am scared of, not life, and not sacrifice for ones family or country or race, and not to fight or fall, but to fall for ever and to not persist.

#168 2011-10-04 02:53:28

Canada    Sherlock

Some people just do not have the ability to accept that their life truly has no meaning. They NEED to believe in a greater power who has control over them because they can not take responsibility for themselves. They put there problems on this Imaginary Sky Father because they can not handle them themselves. I would go so far as to say they are weak, however I do not wish to offend anyone, it is just my personal belief. Basically, it is easier to live life under the assumption that they have a "purpose" and a "protector" and no amount of rational thought can prove otherwise because fear is such a strong emotional pressure. At least that is what I believe, I am not religious so I have no personal exsperience in the matter.

#169 2011-10-03 17:00:48

United States    Snow_Dog

*prepares for incoming argument storm* Its rational to them. Gives their life meaning.

#170 2011-10-03 16:31:44

Canada    SgtPeppers

Why People Believe

Whatever questions religion poses, the one which is hardest to answer is why people who are otherwise completely rational lose their minds over their unproven ideas.

This is not an argument over the validity of a religion, simply a question as to why it has the effect it has.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com