Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Who is the craziest? by SgtPeppers
  •    Which tenants of which religion are crazy?

Just out of general interest, what religious ideas do you find the most ridiculous and which is the craziest overall

Please have actual arguments and not just insult people

Before the creationists start, I just want to remind people that Atheism is not a religion and does not meet any definition of religion

My top picks for craziest religion

1.Christianity (Noah's ark, 10000 year old earth, Adam and eve, Zombie Jesus, etc)
    2.Scientology (Alien dictators, need I say more)
    3.Islam (Most of the stuff christians have)
    4.Mormanism (Magic underwear and a physical God who lives on planet Kola)
    5.Hinduism (Multi armed elephant gods, blue god/kings)

What about your lists

Edit

#21 2011-11-29 21:40:09

United Kingdom    depresser

Re: Who is the craziest?

@SgtPeppers 

You say that but neither religious sect would agree, they would say the other has completely misinterpreted God and therefore believe in a false God. You are technically right though.

#22 2011-11-28 22:40:04

Canada    SgtPeppers

@depresser 

Found this on YouTube, I think it destroys the "Christians never kill for their god" argument

Last edited by SgtPeppers (2011-12-12 14:16:52)

#23 2011-11-28 22:14:05

Canada    SgtPeppers

@depresser 

Not to nitpick, but Christians and Muslims believe in the same god, just different prophets. Either way, christianity will go first, so we need to focus on ensuring they go secular rather than to Islam or worse, Scientology.

#24 2011-11-28 19:00:10

@CaptainCook 

You are right, Christianity is evil, as is any other religion. Religion has far out-served its uses.

#25 2011-11-28 18:58:28

@SgtPeppers 

Fair enough, but I only see the dismantling of Christianity as a barrier to stamping out any lingering belief in Islam. It is a vile concoction of hatred and violence. Christians hardly ever murder in the name of their God. Muslims do.

#26 2011-11-23 02:32:34

Canada    SgtPeppers

@depresser 

Baby steps depresser, Christianity is a larger problem because they have numbers on us, but the gap is closing, we need to persuade them, one by one, of our way of thinking. At least until we have the ones who are able to be helped, those who believe in science already. The fundamentalists would not last long in a world where they don't have their flock of sheep following them. Islam is in the hardest phase to dismantle a religion in, the "kill the infidel" stage, I think we need to help the rest of the world advance, once we are far beyond them technologically, they are in a position where they could try Jihad and lose or flock around science, humanities candle in the dark.

#27 2011-11-22 21:01:29

@SgtPeppers Yes, it is encouraging, but atheism only grows in Western countries and Communist countries. It needs to be worldwide. Islam needs to fall. It is a greater threat than Christianity and needs to be dismantled.

#28 2011-11-21 23:02:57

Canada    SgtPeppers

@CaptainCook 

Personally, I agree with everything you except the churches bit, hey are a waste of valuable resources and an extravagance that is utterly without purpose.

#29 2011-11-21 17:15:45

United Kingdom    CaptainCook

But of course SgtPeppers

Muslims should not infringe upon the rights of other faiths, and Christians should not infringe upon the rights of scientists or doctors or women, and Catholics should not attempt to dictate how people should live.

It is my personaly held belief that faith and religion is for Churches, Temples, Mosques or Synagogues, and also for the privacy of a persons home, but that religious symbols and preaching should be banned from every public building including schools, colleges, universities and libraries.

#30 2011-11-21 13:59:14

Canada    SgtPeppers

@CaptainCook 

Will you at least concede that the right you espouse is limited so that one religious group cannot infringe the rights of another group?

#31 2011-11-21 09:56:14

SgtPeppers
                The point I am attempting to get accross is that I do not care what you believe, if you are an athiest then I will think no more or less of you than if you were a Christian or a Buddhist, as long as your a decent sort of human then your faith dosent bother me.

I am a believer in inclusion and am anti exclusion, and if you have a different belief to me then I dont see why I or anyone should poke fun, insult or attemt to discriminate simply because of your different beliefs.

Allthough I am indifferent to religion, I will defend the principle of freedom of religion, a Christian has a fundamental right to be a Christian, just as a Muslim has the same right.

#32 2011-11-20 21:11:29

Canada    SgtPeppers

@CaptainCook 

You mischaracterize both me and depresser, atheism is no a religion  and it has no beliefs, it is a lack of belief by definition.

I believe I have said this before, but it needs to be said again, you cannot distinguish between moderates and extremists until the "moderates" say:
1. We condemn the actions of the extremists
and when they admit
2. These extremists are following our religion, but the parts they are following are barbaric.

#33 2011-11-20 18:08:35

@ depresser

No doubt you will be able to quote various passages from the Quoran which will justify your belief that Islam is a nasty religion.

And I can quote many passages from The Bible which could be used to argue that Christianity is a nasty religion, and I am sure the same could probably be said for other holy books of other faiths.

In my opinion you are doing what humans always do - you are looking to prove that your religion is the true religion, and you attempt to put down other faiths, whereas I simply dont care, I am not interested in causing division or hatred based on religion - people have been making this mistake for 2000 years.

I know that there are extremist Muslims, but then there are extremist Jews and Christians, there are Jews in Israel who think nothing about shooting Palestinian children on their way to school.

There is a particular faith which preaches abstenance from sex outside of marriage, and condems homosexuality, this same organisation is riddled with paedophiles and scandal, its name is the Roman Catholic Church headed by the chief of all hypocrits - The Pope.

#34 2011-11-20 17:11:42

Canada    SgtPeppers

@depresser 

I think it will stop eventually, Atheism is growing faster than any belief has and christianity has not been this unpopular since Nero was feeding them to lions. We are on track to victory, the only group now that outnumbers us is the Catholics and they are to busy teaching abstinence and molesting children to really care.

#35 2011-11-20 09:49:53

@SgtPeppers I suppose it can be argued that if it were not for monks during the dark age, a scripted version of European languages would have been lost. But this is a very wishy-washy point. Basically, religion always has and always will do a good old bit of restricting progress.

#36 2011-11-20 04:38:01

Canada    SgtPeppers

@depresser 

Question, can you think of examples of religion NOT restricting progress?

#37 2011-11-20 01:08:45

@SgtPeppers 

perfectly summarized, thanks.

#38 2011-11-20 01:07:39

Islam is undoubtedly, the most repulsive and hateful religion there is. It's doctrinal rules disgust me and actions carried out in its name are ab horrid. It is the prime example of a religion restricting progress.

#39 2011-11-19 22:33:26

Canada    SgtPeppers

@CaptainCook 

I agree that people have the right to believe what they want. Where we may disagree is whether they have the right to have to have that belief taken seriously. If someone wants to believe 2+2=5, that is their prerogative, but mathematicians are not required to take them seriously. By the same token, science does not have to take a religion seriously.

Personally, I do not hate christians, I do not hate muslims, I do not hate any religious person. But I do hate Christianity, Islam and every other faith which spreads like a parasite, polluting our species and indoctrinating our entire hope for the future, namely children.

How long can we tolerate beliefs which are so intense in hating each other (and us, for that matter) that they are ready willing and able to kill.

Last edited by SgtPeppers (2011-11-20 04:36:25)

#40 2011-11-18 22:09:34

Heres my opinion on religion ( if anyone is interested )

As humans living in the free world we have the right to believe in a particular faith if we wish to, or not to believe in any faith, so far I guess most people will agree.

As an agnostic I expect people to respect my belief, you may disagree with my belief and you might hold a different belief to mine, but you should accept that I have the right to not be a devout Christian, Muslim, Jew or whatever faith.

Whatever you believe, there is absolutely no need what so ever for you to disrespect or poke fun at a different belief to yours.

I may criticise the Catholic Church, I may criticise Islamic states, but I see no reason why anyone should be abusive to Catholics or Muslims.
Amongst my many friends are Muslims and Hindus, I see in them good people, they are good friends, thats all that realy matters.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com