Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Who is the craziest? by SgtPeppers
  •    Which tenants of which religion are crazy?

Just out of general interest, what religious ideas do you find the most ridiculous and which is the craziest overall

Please have actual arguments and not just insult people

Before the creationists start, I just want to remind people that Atheism is not a religion and does not meet any definition of religion

My top picks for craziest religion

1.Christianity (Noah's ark, 10000 year old earth, Adam and eve, Zombie Jesus, etc)
    2.Scientology (Alien dictators, need I say more)
    3.Islam (Most of the stuff christians have)
    4.Mormanism (Magic underwear and a physical God who lives on planet Kola)
    5.Hinduism (Multi armed elephant gods, blue god/kings)

What about your lists

Edit

#101 2011-10-05 11:32:17

Canada    watson

Re: Who is the craziest?

Well you are clearly very passionate about Christianity. I was not saying the crusades occurred for no reason, nor am I saying that every Christian should be judged based on that event. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy in Christianity. Most of them are racist against Muslims for the violence their religion was involved in, and you are a perfect example of how Christians don't allow anyone to judge them. You say the crusades was caused by the Muslim conquests, I am not denying that. However it does not mean Christians were not involved. Just as Muslims could argue that the wars they have been in were not their fault, but merely the fault of another religion.
I am not saying the crusades is the reason Christianity is crazy, but merely the hypocrisy that Christianity entails. They discriminate against other religions without seeing the faults in theirs. And I am not incapable of faith, as you so bluntly put it. I was raised Catholic, and then I received an education. End of story.

#102 2011-10-05 08:35:13

Australia    PatrickDup

@watson YES I RECOUNT THE CRUSADES MATE.

For the record, and I have explained this many times before in other debates, but if you haven't heard it I will explain it again.

THE CRUSADES WERE NOT CAUSED BY THE CHRISTIANS AND WERE NOT SIMPLY CHRISTIAN AGRESSION OR VIOLENCE.

The Crusades were a product of the Arab Muslims invasions of Christondom and its lands, and then ignited by the Turkish Muslims; who had recently taken over leadership of the Muslim world, their unwillingness to allow Christian pilgrims into the Holy land.

Those lands were never Muslim to begin with by the way. The people with the most claim to them were the Israeli Hebrew Jews on one hand when considering Israel itself, and the Byzantine Greeks on the other hand who had inherited the lands in the Levant and also Egypt and North Africa as well, from the Early form of their Empire, the Eastern Roman Empire, and who had controlled those lands up to and until the Arab Muslims had invaded and conquered and taken them from the Byzantine Greek Empire during the Arab Coquests of the 7th to 10th centuries.

Along with the racial mass killings, or 'genocide', of many of the inhabitants of those lands in order to make way for Arab colonisation of those areas, there was also the large raids then full scale invasions and then raids again, of Byzantine Greek core territories including Greece, Anatoli/Asia Minor, and Italy and Sicily, and the killings of the inhabitants of those lands, which was attempted though not succesfull and not complete. These Arab raids and invasions were beaten back however, by the Byzantines, but the massive Seljuk Turkish invasions and migrations into Anatoli that followed, and began in the 11th century, were not, and culminated in the total Turkish control and first phase of settling of what is now Turkey, by the Turks under the Seljuk leadership, and the almost complete genocide of the Greeks in Turkey, who had numbered at least six million by 1025 throughout Anatoli, and who only numbered three million in 1919 at the outset of that years Turkish perpetrated genocide of 1.5 million of those remaining 3 million Greeks. The later phase of colonisation was by the Turks under Ottoman rule, or Ottoman Turks.

After this Turkish invasion, and the ceasing of Christian pilgrimage to the holy lands, the Byzantine Greek Emperor at the time, one of the Komnenos Emperors, probably the first of that dynasty, asked the Pope to call for a Christian Crusade on the Muslim world to take back the Holy lands for Christiandom. Komnenos desired to use the Crusaders to recapture Greek territories, while the Pope saw the chance to further his own rule and power and cement the Roman Catholic Churches leadership over Western, Northern and South Western Europe. The plan was for the Byzantine navy to transport the 60,000 strong crusaders across to Turkey and supply and support them while they took back all the cities and handed them over to the Byzantines while they, (the Crusaders), were allowed to keep all the loot and prisoners and slaves. This happened most of the time, with the exception of the Capture of Nicea by Byzantine forces who spared the inhapbitants, whom the Crusaders wanted to slaughter, though the loot was haned over to the Crusaders as agreed.

By the end of this First Crusade most of Turkey was back in Byzantine hands, save the Eastern interior which was still Seljuk controlled, and the Crusaders, of which one third of the original number had survived, were in control of the Holy land and had set up the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

So dont always keep blaming the Crusades on the Christians and say they were at fault or that it was an example of christian brutality, just to justify your dislike of all religions and to try to score what you all perceive is a victory against religion as a whole, by paying out Christianity. And just because you dont like Christianity or because you have an inability to have any faith.

ALSO PLEASE TRY TO GET YOUR HISTORY CORRECT IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE HISTORY TO PAYOUT AN ENTIRE RELIGION OF PEOPLE AND SAY THAT IT IS THEIR FAULT WHEN IT CLEARLY WAS INITIATED BY THE OTHER SIDE.

I SAY THIS BECAUSE I THINK HISTORICAL ACCURACY IS VERY IMPORTANT AND I LOVE HISTORY AND HATE IT BEING TWISTED AROUND FOR SOMEONES BIASED BIGOTED VIEWS.

#103 2011-10-05 02:24:08

Canada    watson

Also, Raelism would be a good addition to your list.
Essentially, Raelians believe that life on Earth was scientifically created by a species of extraterrestrials, which they call the Elohim. Members of this species appeared human and when having personal contacts with the descendants of the humans they made, they were mistaken for angels, cherubim or gods. Raëlians believe messengers, or prophets, of the Elohim include Buddha, Jesus, and others.
If Raelism were more prominent, it may surpass Christianity in craziness

#104 2011-10-05 02:19:11

Canada    Sherlock

@watson 

Well said.

#105 2011-10-05 02:09:44

Canada    watson

Although all of these are quite equal with each other in terms of ridiculousness, I always opt for Christianity being the craziest. Why? It is not the mere concepts which fail to contain any reason, but also the attitude of Christians (fundamentalists, in particular) and their hypocrisy. Islamics are often judged, especially by Americans, of having a ludicrous religion that requires them to be terrorists. But they seem to forgetting the murders caused by Christianity. Does anyone recount the crusades? Furthermore, Christian fundamentalists cannot even accept a logical argument, which makes them, and their religion, seem more insane. They contradict the Bible consistently and seek to maintain the idea of creationism as true and disregard modern science. If anything, I think it seems that Christianity has rejected science the most. That's my opinion anyhow.

#106 2011-10-05 02:02:44

Canada    Sherlock

I agree with generally all of your choices.
I do enjoy the ridiculousness of Zombie Jesus. Probably my favorite.
The concept that a living human, would die, promptly wait for a set number of days, return to life, and then insist everyone drink his blood and eat his flesh.
So he is 1. Undead 2. Makes people eat his flesh and 3. People go kinda crazy when they talk about him to begin with. This means only one thing: Jesus was indeed a Zombie.

#107 2011-10-05 01:03:48

Canada    SgtPeppers

Who is the craziest?

Just out of general interest, what religious ideas do you find the most ridiculous and which is the craziest overall

Please have actual arguments and not just insult people

Before the creationists start, I just want to remind people that Atheism is not a religion and does not meet any definition of religion

My top picks for craziest religion

1.Christianity (Noah's ark, 10000 year old earth, Adam and eve, Zombie Jesus, etc)
2.Scientology (Alien dictators, need I say more)
3.Islam (Most of the stuff christians have)
4.Mormanism (Magic underwear and a physical God who lives on planet Kola)
5.Hinduism (Multi armed elephant gods, blue god/kings)

What about your lists

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com