Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Religious visions? by irishgenius
  •    Are religious visions true or are they fake?

I myself have experienced a vision.when i was around 5 or 6 years of age I saw Jesus straight across from me.I was amazed.I was standing on very white clouds,not naturally whit but very see-through clouds.the clouds I standing on were in my room!I could see my whole room and myself sleeping!Stiring about.Then he started to speak to me.I can't remember what he said but remember that he said that i was supposed to do something important for mankind and the choice is up to me.then i felt myself being pulled down back into my body with a gust of wind.A great experience!

omg

Edit

#1 2012-02-02 01:25:04

United Kingdom    depresser

Re: Religious visions?

fake

#2 2012-01-31 19:49:13

Canada    SgtPeppers

@irishgenius 

Can you please respond to people in full sentences, it is a pain to try and figure out a conversation when you could be discussing any post.

#3 2012-01-29 10:56:32

Ireland    irishgenius

@NoiseFree 

Agreed

#4 2012-01-29 03:23:37

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NoiseFree 

Pointing out that he has in fact done what you suggested, I found this site after someone sent me a link on YouTube where I was trolling creationists. The best way to spread this is to tell people you know, after that growth is exponential. Personally I told people in my classes, but it also works to paste links on Youtube Channels and in comments sections, where better to find people who like debating.

#5 2012-01-28 15:17:28

Earth    NoiseFree

@SgtPeppers 

I copied your post to admin.  In the absence of a religious vision, he desperately needs some exposure.  I've been on other debating sites and this is my favourite in some ways... he just needs more people!

#6 2012-01-27 21:45:57

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NoiseFree 

I agree, far to few people actively contribute, my count of people who have come back several times is around 30, of whom 1 is me and 4 are people I told about the site in my classes. Hopefully more people will find the site but until them at there is a reasonable cross section of people to debate with (although partially due to me telling people who I knew loved debating, Canadians were over represented for a while)

#7 2012-01-27 08:17:43

Earth    NoiseFree

@SgtPeppers 

Interject all you like.  This forum is done to not a bad format but it's way too short on contributions.  Does nobody care about anything anymore?

#8 2012-01-27 01:31:12

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NoiseFree 

Just interjecting, but being called upon to love something you must fear is a form of sadomasochism, which explains quite a lot about religion...

#9 2012-01-26 08:58:15

Earth    NoiseFree

@irishgenius 

I'm not sure which point you're objecting to when you say 'No' - everything I wrote?!?!?   Aren't fear and love mutually exclusive?  We are all mortal and fear is the basic animal instinct that kicks in to protect us from anything perceived as a potential threat to our well being.   By way of sharp contrast, anything described as 'love' surely is something for which we are willing to die because it succeeds in transcending our physical isolation and our fears to protect it.  Love is the superior because it takes us beyond ourselves, whereas fear causes a fortress state.  To simultaneously love and fear anything is not possible... even if the religious ideologies of the world have tried to hijack both in their attempts to control the masses.

Last edited by NoiseFree (2012-01-26 09:01:03)

#10 2012-01-25 22:55:36

Ireland    irishgenius

@NoiseFree 

No.The majority in Christianity because there are rules very clearly stated ie.Thy shall not kill.There is a love and a fear of God,just as a patriot loves and fears the president of the United States.etc etc.

#11 2012-01-25 02:23:23

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NoiseFree 

There are 2 types, but they need each other, you have the "bible thumpers" who will ignore everything and you have the "sheep" who have not thought about it, without donations and such from the latter, the former dies out. The sheep can be convinced, but you have to shove the proof down there throats for them to listen.

#12 2012-01-22 08:19:59

Earth    NoiseFree

@SgtPeppers 

I hope you're right but we see in the States - arguably the most technologically developed and 'connected' country on the planet - how no amount of information stops bible-bashing morons from promoting their religious dogma in the interests of furthering their own wealth and power.  Maybe there are two strains of religious people: those who are sly enough to use religion to dominate, and those who are fooled by the dogma and are thereby dominated by the first group!
Hey - I just wrote that to cheer us all up.

Last edited by NoiseFree (2012-01-23 10:56:55)

#13 2012-01-22 04:11:55

Canada    SgtPeppers

@irishgenius 

I can assure, the fundamentalists who blow up buildings and shoot abortion doctors have far more grounding in scripture than moderates can even pretend to have.

#14 2012-01-22 04:10:17

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NoiseFree 

Science is not what is going to do away with religion, that will be done by the very device you are using when you read this, computers and the internet spread information, and if people have information, indoctrinating them is impossible.

#15 2012-01-21 11:11:54

Earth    NoiseFree

@irishgenius 

No!  That's not the logic.  Who's talking about punishing people anyway?  Some of us just think religion is rubbish.  I'm not interested in bingo, but I don't think bingo players ought to be punished.  However, I do think things are more controversial with religion: I've never seen bingo players whipping up a frenzy that led to war or preaching that non-bingo players were going to Hell!
You make a valid point that only a minority of religious people go to such lengths, but that's largely because people are inherently quite peace-loving and do not have a natural need to castigate and persecute their fellow humans, regardless of their belief or non-belief.
But it does seem that fear is a main element in religion and it's a fact that most of the 'great' religions have at certain points been guilty of using fear to subjugate, dominate and even murder populations.
As regards the Vatican and its papacy almost everyone outside of catholicism is agreed that it is a filthy rich hypocritical power centre that has just about nothing to do with christian values.
Someone wanting to be true to christian values in this day and age would, I suggest, have no truck with it at all.

A truly spiritual life certainly does not require any tie to any organised religion and many think it positively requires shunning them. Didn't Jesus reject the judaism of his era?  And he did NOT start christianity!

Organised religions are too steeped in fear and all the destructive deeds that fear propagates to be a positive force for mankind.

#16 2012-01-20 11:25:28

Ireland    irishgenius

You all seem to have a very low oppinion of religion,and I seriously feel sorry for you.Your ideas of what Religion is are based on a small minority of insane people and only a few of themhave read their religous books.Their ideas were inspired by an older generation of insane teachers.I understand why you feel this way about religion,but what i dont understand is that you bias against it.Using your logic,that if there were a group of a hundred people and if one of them commited a murder without the others knowledge,then all that group should be punished.

#17 2012-01-18 18:42:36

Earth    NoiseFree

Interesting @SgtPeppers 

I share your feelings but I think your conclusion is wrong.  Science will not finish off religion, however urgent that agenda is. For centuries there has been plenty of easily-understood science for the illusions of religion to be busted... but still they remain.  Maybe the problem is that religion appeals to a part of the human consciousness (fear?) that science will never access.
Also: are you open to the idea that some 'facts' (as in realities of our existence) are knowable by the subjective experience?  Science will never accept such stuff of course because it does not fit the model it has of what a 'fact' is... but that is maybe science's problem/limitation.

#18 2012-01-18 04:12:26

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NoiseFree 

I must first take objection to the idea that with less focus on science we would have fewer nut jobs talking to God, in reality we need the opposite, science is the only weapon that can finish off religion and that is a crucial function to keep our species alive. I agree with the idea about opinions, so long as their is clear differentiation between what is subjectively true (opinion) and what is objectively true (fact), the first can be debated, but not the second.

#19 2012-01-17 14:12:01

Earth    NoiseFree

@SgtPeppers 

Sure - I wasn't challenging anything you said.
But do you agree that in general - in among the daily hustle and bustle - we lose track of what can be discovered within us?  For example, you see people screaming at one another as though they KNEW they were 100% right and the other 100% wrong... completely unaware that our opinions are MERE OPINIONS. Understanding oneself helps us understand others but there is no science that properly deals with this as so much of it is subjective emotional stuff.
Modern life seems to take us further and further from that perspective: we see ourself as some sort of vehicle to be driven through the material world grabbing all that we can... but the result is that we become a stranger to much of who we really are.
Hence the result that when something a bit weird happens mentally we think we've got a hotline to 'the other side'!  Maybe if we had less focus on science we'd have less nutters talking to god.

Last edited by NoiseFree (2012-01-17 14:12:53)

#20 2012-01-17 13:39:29

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NoiseFree 

I agree some parts of social sciences strain credulity, burt I was not referring to that, things like neuroscience can show s the function of the brain, but again I was not referring to that. I was saying that science lets us understand the Cosmos that is as much part of us as we are part of it, learning about it is a voyage of self discovery.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com