Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Countries - Room 1
  • » The Best Country in Europe. by Dremord
  •    Government-wise, culture-wise, nature-wise, history-wise, language-wise, people-wise... Wh

What is the best European country (including non-EU nations)?

Edit

#21 2012-12-18 04:51:04

United States    calibur

Re: The Best Country in Europe.

This is qualitative, therefore subjective, therefore not debatable.
Military- is bigger better, or smaller?
Politics- what do you measure by, openness, effectiveness, unity?
Climate- I like slightly cold, slightly wet, cloudy weather best, no joke
History- does Rome count, or holy Rome, or the Vikings, or the byzantines?
Niceness- hospitality, compliments, not nosy, what?
I could go on and on.
This is not a site for merely stating opinion, and with such a subjective matter that is all you can do.

#22 2012-12-18 04:12:58

United States    Urbansamura

I would have to say Britain. Because the people I've met from there were really nice whereas the French dudes I met were jerks.

#23 2012-12-18 03:35:17

juanpablo

Spain.

#24 2012-12-03 03:23:40

United States    maps12

@mannymann 

It was meant as a joke, since almost all the countries in Europe are part of the EU.

#25 2012-12-02 20:24:56

United Kingdom    mannymann

@maps12 H

Half Way down page 2, so don't call me an idiot!

#26 2012-12-02 19:01:33

United States    maps12

@mannymann 

When did I say that, dear idiot.

#27 2012-11-28 23:04:11

Russia    NikoLStak

@calibur 

Hum? I was refering to the fact that a slav never put a H in Nikola(ï). It would sound like Nishola.
Same in french. In english ch sound k so it doesen't matter.

If I only corrected this one it's because the 2 single scientist name I seen were Newton and Tesla, but I see your point. Names can get big changes when wrtitting it in a foreign language.

#28 2012-11-28 12:40:33

Portugal    Vradonam

@calibur 

Calibur, I'm pretty sure those were just irony.

#29 2012-11-28 12:39:07

Portugal    Vradonam

@NikoLStak 

NikolStak, I appreciate your correction, Tesla being one of my favourite scientists, and more than that, my favourite Engineer, I should know how to write is name. But honestly, it was a bit late, and I'd been studying Signals and Systems for over five hours straight... xD

Cheers

#30 2012-11-28 00:32:39

United States    calibur

Nikolai, of all those in the post, that's the mistake you chose to pick on?
Michaelaglio, Leonado Divinchi, Galleleo, Stephern Hawking...

Not to mention that, of all the great British scientists, you didn't mention Darwin...

#31 2012-11-27 23:20:49

Russia    NikoLStak

@Vradonam 

''Nichola''?
It's Nikola Tesla. è.é

Exept for this outragous error, I agree with you.
The British were maybe the top power but even in Europe, it's not true anymore. It still enjoy a great living, a top millitary and a top economy, but the greatest in Europe? No.

#32 2012-11-27 17:41:59

@maps1You

They're some pretty stupid people in the world, then there is you! You thought that the EU was a country!

#33 2012-11-27 07:05:56

I felt that you weren't being particularly aggressive and now reading back on my first comment I agree that it was a bit brash and arrogant!

It is nice that in the end we could agree that Britain is a good country and Portugal actually comes second in my opinion after visiting it a few times.

It really is a impossible thing to really debate because with every country there are pros and cons. For example in Britain a pro is our free health care but a con is that a lot of that money is spent on obesity in which we have one of the highest rates in Europe. The same can be said for portugal with its natural coastline is beautiful but it's economy is falling apart.

Cheers

#34 2012-11-26 23:30:22

Portugal    Vradonam

@mannymann 

I know that you weren't trying to be arrogant! :)

I agree with you on pretty much everything.
I mean Britain has proved its inffluence in history many times, but nontheless the subject is non debatable, specially if you generalize things, and that was what I tried to point out.

Look, reading my post, I now know that I might have been a bit agressive, and that was not my intention.

Just one point to make. For me (until now and with the information I have), my favourite scientists of all time are Sir Isaac Newton and Nikola Tesla, and one of them was english, so I get your point.

So, I'm sorry for coming out a bit agressive.

Cheers

Last edited by Vradonam (2012-11-28 12:39:47)

#35 2012-11-26 19:17:09

@Vradonam 

I take your points on board, I I just want to state that I wasn't trying to be ignorent or arogant I was just stating points and the aim of the paragraph was just to put simply why I feel that it is one of the greatest countries in Europe and the world.

I would agree with you and say that many of works of fiction are based on others from other countries but I would also say that some authors like Shakespeare and Dickins even though they might of had a little bit of inspiration from the others are still arguably the greatest authors of all time.

I would hastily take back my comment about art and in hind site that was stupid because I can only think of a handful of famous British Artists and I accept that none of the ones I am thinking on have a scratch on Michoagilo or Leonado Divinchi (sorry about the spelling) but were still very good for what they did.

On the music, I would agree that some other classical work is better but when it comes to modern popular music we have produced some of the most famous acts in the world particularly in the rock genre and by ourselves creating large sub-genres. For example we almost single handly (remember the almost there) created progressive rock with bands like Pink Floyd, Dire Straights and Supertramp and others that become some of the best selling band around the world in there day.

Finally, I would like to back up my point on Science and Technology and make quite a brash claim and say that if it wasn't for us we would't be talking right now (Tim Bernerslee). Whilst I agree that other countries did create some great scientists (Gallaleo, Leonardo Divinchi) I would say that a large amount of importent scientists came from here e.g Issac Newton, Robert Hooke, Stevern Hawkings to name a few.

I agree with you that this is realy a undebatable subject unless you go down to statists and this would only be a debatible question if you if you said something like which is the most influential thoughout history or even greatest.

Cheers

#36 2012-11-26 00:48:39

Portugal    Vradonam

@mannymann 

I'm personally in favor of the portuguese and british alliance and relations, but despite of my opinions there are portuguese that admit, with no problems, their hate towards, not the alliance itself, but the British. Why? Because of what you just did my friend.

Me?
I accept and understand the patriotism shown by most of the people from every country. But I condemn the outre patriotism, particularly the one that discards the inffluence of others in their history, and of course, the ignorant one.

On this case, I don't think that you meant to be arrogant or overly patriotic or that you're an ignorant.

But, who says that your political system is the best in Europe? Would you say that over 75% of England's population is satisfied with the results of its political system?

On this matter, there are much better examples, like Sweden or Norway.

Now, I know little of your transports system, so I can't make an even remote evaluation of the system, though, it's in my mind that it is one of the best.

Science, Music and Art.
This is where I think you were quite arrogant. No doubt you made very impressive discoveries, but disgarding the importance of every other discovery made by other countries, to say yours is the best, it's surely arrogance. And the same for Music and Art.

I mean, on music, you have Italian and German Opera just for an example. On art in general, you're disgarding the work of people like Leonardo Da vinci, Michelangelo and so many others. On writing, I can give you the example of three portuguese writers, Luís de Camões ("Lusíadas"), Fernando Pessoa ("A Mensagem") and Eça de Queirós ("Os Maias"). The words inside brackets are the titles of their most known works.
Sure, contemporaneously the english based works are the most known, but that is due to the inffluence that England had all over the world and the easiness of the english language, and if it wasn't for some events, those english based works could EASILY be spanish, portuguese or dutch based works.

And right now I'm listening to The Civil Wars and they're from Nashville, Tennessee, USA.

You could've made a solid post based on some of the things you've said, like the british inffluence in Rock culture, and more, but you ruined it all by putting your post in an all time context.

But, I agree with calibur this subject is quite non debatable. Unless of course, if you start to come here to debate statistics only.

Cheers

Last edited by Vradonam (2012-11-26 11:46:46)

#37 2012-11-25 23:14:44

This is not just a purely patriotic point of view but a view from travailing Europe I feel that the UK is the best country in Europe. This is because:
>We have the best political system in Europe.
>We have the best public transport in Europe when it comes to our cities and trains.
>We have a large history and pedigree of science, music and art.
>We have produced some of the most famous musicians of all time including the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Elton John and Queenand i would put money on the fact that most of you are listening to music that was made in the UK right now.

#38 2012-10-30 01:08:13

United States    calibur

This is qualitative, therefore subjective, therefore not debatable.

#39 2012-10-29 18:32:16

Ireland    Irish Boy12

I say Ireland is the best, while the worst is England.

#40 2012-09-28 16:23:58

United States    calibur

I'm going to attempt to move to Scandinavia eventually...

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com