Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Politics - Room 1
  • » Patriotism: Good or Bad? by Hephaestus
  •    Is patriotism obstructing peace?

Patriotism. Loving your country, ready to sacrifice yourself for your country. All of us want peace, we all know that. But wouldn't being proud of your country require you to be biased? To think your country is better than others? To want your country to have victory? Wouldn't that desire to be the best bring conflict? Wouldn't people "cheat" in many different ways to lead their country to victory?

But why shouldn't you love your country? The land you were born in? The land of your people? The land your heroes fought for? Why would it be wrong to be proud of your country?

Is patriotism in the way of a peaceful world?

Edit

#21 2012-07-11 17:48:22

Canada    SgtPeppers

Re: Patriotism: Good or Bad?

I think a more accurate question is "Is Nationalism in the way of peace?" because it is a far more nuanced way of posing the question you want answered. In short, civic nationalism, identifying with your country an being proud of it, is a healthy thing in small doses. The problems come when you get ethnic nationalism, where you go from, for example "I'm a proud Canadian" to "I am a proud French Canadian and I want us to secede from the rest of Canada". This is a topic where the devil is in the details and every case must be taken individually.

#22 2012-07-11 17:37:27

Ukraine    IVort

There is nothing wrong in loving the country, you live. But in the other hand, there are political forces that use people's patriotism to obtain the wealth for themselves. It is very important not to let someone decieve you. It is normal to think that your country is the best and to be ready to defend your homeland in hard times. Bit when you are demanded to hate someone "unless you don't like your Motherland", think several times whether it's really requiered for your people to live in peace or it's just a propaganda in the interest of corrupted government or some nationalistic movement?

#23 2012-07-11 14:48:39

Greece    SophiaPagka

In my opinion loving and defending your country and people is totally acceptable as long as you are not hateful towards other countries/nations.

#24 2012-07-11 13:15:54

Indonesia    Hephaestus

Patriotism: Good or Bad?

Patriotism. Loving your country, ready to sacrifice yourself for your country. All of us want peace, we all know that. But wouldn't being proud of your country require you to be biased? To think your country is better than others? To want your country to have victory? Wouldn't that desire to be the best bring conflict? Wouldn't people "cheat" in many different ways to lead their country to victory?

But why shouldn't you love your country? The land you were born in? The land of your people? The land your heroes fought for? Why would it be wrong to be proud of your country?

Is patriotism in the way of a peaceful world?

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com