Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Society - Room 1
  • » Gay Marriage by Warenz
  •    Debate whether or not you think gay marriage is okay.

Today I came across a debate about gay marriage however that was on a internet site with mainly trolls. So I thought that this might be an interesting topic especially if people that are actually willing to debate are participating. Afterall it is interesting to see another persons point of view.

Yeah, so.. What are your thoughts on gay marriage. Do you approve it, do you reject it or are you completely neutral and just don't care about it?

Well I guess I should remind you that this debate's goal is not to get to a conclusion but to see and understand each others point of view.

Arguments can be either in religious matter or ethical matter.

Edit

#41 2012-07-18 03:06:57

United States    juggler37

Re: Gay Marriage

Opponents say that being gay is a choice.

It's not, but why should that matter? It doesn't cause any harm, or at least no more than straight marriage does (ha).

It's only still illegal because of what is, in my opinion, a bizarre spinoff of sexism.

#42 2012-07-17 18:49:51

United States    calibur

@Elemist 

It doesn't even matter whether or not the religion is valid (which it most likely is not) because every free country is not ruled by a single religion, and if they are, they're not free. So if you wish to maintain the image of being a free country then you cannot reject gay marriage, especially for religious reasons.

#43 2012-07-17 14:29:57

Australia    Elemist

@calibur 

Yeah I saw it before on 9gag: the sad thing is that some of those reasons are really cited by individuals out there.  I think that there are some academic, philosophical, psychological etc. reasons to oppose same-sex marriage; however, I believe that none of them are logical and that the only logical reason would be religious reasons i.e. if their religion states that they are opposed to a same-sex couple from marrying, then this automatically entails it to be a logical reason.  What the debate would then have to focus on is the validity of the religion in question, hence my stance on this topic.  So long as you can prove a religion invalid, you will be able to prove their stance is flawed, and thus support your own stance. 

#44 2012-07-13 17:27:27

United States    calibur

@Elemist 

See my last post. It refutes pretty much every reason anyone could provide against gay marriage, and does so humorously.

#45 2012-07-13 12:54:43

Australia    Elemist

imho I think that the only reason why anyone could possibly go against Same-sex marriage would be for religious reasons i.e. if there is no God, then there's no logical reason to oppose the union of any two (or more) individuals so long as it conforms to the majority consensus of the current society.  Therefore, this topic ultimately comes down to: "Does God exist or not?".  If he does, then we gotta look into the material we have regarding God, and if he doesn't, then just live and let live.

#46 2012-07-13 08:57:13

Russia    NikoLStak

@cdoyle 

Well the fact that people from many different points around the globe agree with it is pretty satisfying isn't?

And the ones against it are mostly the kind of guys that used 8 years to finish their high school... Or bainwashed religious.

#47 2012-07-13 06:27:58

cdoyle

i wonder what kind of world we live in if we even have to debate this. i understand how people can find it disconcerting(personally not super comfortable with it) but we should try to accept it. in 50 years do you want your children/grandchildren read about how your country/state/city was one of the last to accept gay marriage. And if you say it goes against god, less than 50 years ago many people believed that god made whites superior to all other(and some do to this day)

#48 2012-07-13 06:03:10

United States    CallMeMads

Gay marriage should be legal. It does not matter what the bible says on the matter, the constitution says "all men are created equal." People should have the right to marry and fall in love with whomever they please. The fact that we are even debating this, saddens me.

#49 2012-07-12 21:34:16

United States    calibur

Hahaha, just found this.
4475531_460s.jpg

#50 2012-07-12 13:49:25

Russia    NikoLStak

@Hephaestus 

Must say, I never liked to watch who men or women together(I never found out what some weird guys were finding exiting in two women together..), but they are like that, they don't love opposite gender, they got right to love who they love. Just don't love yourselves in my face.

#51 2012-07-12 12:59:59

Indonesia    Hephaestus

@HighFive5 

Flagged by the government? Surely you mean flagged by society as inappropriate, by various reasons, like religion, and pure instinct as I have explained below. And why would that matter? Would something be automatically wrong if the government/society says so?

#52 2012-07-12 12:56:02

Indonesia    Hephaestus

@NikoLStak 

Sexually frustrated? To be fair, I think the one of the reasons the people against gay marriage doesn't like it is simply because they feel revolted; their heterosexual instincts saying, "What? That's not right". Heterosexual people aren't designed to like the sight of two people of their gender loving each other, at first glance, if one relies on his instincts it would tell him that it's wrong because it feels wrong, and seeing how homosexuality is not allowed in most "holy texts" proves that the instinct is just that old. No heterosexual likes homosexuality at first sight.

#53 2012-07-12 12:53:12

Poland    HighFive5

@Hephaestus 

"Morality wall" is a one thing blocked by our government as flagged as inappropriate. The first morality wall was nudity in television. The nudity in TV is one of the exclusions from my theory, because many of those actions are approved by money.

#54 2012-07-12 12:40:06

Russia    NikoLStak

If someone would tell who I can fuck with or not, he would no longer be able to fuck after I dealed with him.

If this can make them happy, go for it. Peoples against it are sexually frustrated, that is all.

#55 2012-07-12 12:38:50

Indonesia    Hephaestus

@Spirovsky 

Why, thank you, good sir, but to be honest I mostly only base my opinions on pure common sense; I still have lots to learn at school since I'm still 14 so there might be a day when a theist whips up a rebuttal with empirical evidence that says homosexuality is indeed a choice and it would be dangerous for mankind, so I'm still not entirely sure. In fact, I can't be entirely sure about any of my opinions right now. All of them are just what makes most sense to me.

#56 2012-07-12 12:08:42

Philippines    Onechoise

gay marriage should be legal but people think that it is indecent they love each other so why is it not legal.people marry and remarry all the time but its still legal whys that

#57 2012-07-12 12:07:05

South Africa    Spirovsky

@Hephaestus 

I may disagree with you in some areas, but my friend, that is some level of wisdom that won't be matched by any clergyman in the world.

#58 2012-07-12 12:03:11

South Africa    Spirovsky

In some Red-neck state, it is legal to have sex with a horse but God forbid two men get married. If God exists, I think he would be too busy worrying about other things to care about who you sleep with. Ricky Gervais said that the Church would rather have a gay man having casual sex with multiple men than let him be in a faithful, loving marriage with another man.

#59 2012-07-12 11:19:17

Germany    MrBeer

There is absolutely no logical reason NOT to legalize Gay marriage.They love each other, they should be able to marry.Simple as that.

#60 2012-07-12 09:17:00

Indonesia    Hephaestus

@HighFive5 

"Morality wall"? Gay marriages breaks "morality walls". What's a morality wall? I don't understand.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com