Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Religion - Room 1
  • » Original sin = Science ? by Iggy
  •    Is the original sin the root of science

This is the original sin in short: God gives Adam and Eve all the freedom except to eat the from the 1 tree in all creation. Eventually they disobey him.
    Is this a metaphor for human curiosity?
    As you may know curiosity is root of science, everything scientist do they do in the name of curiosity. Only thing that drives scientists is curiosity.

Can this be linked to the original sin written in bible?

I mean we can see this behavior everywhere. You can be sure if you tell someone "You can do anything except 1 thing" they will eventually do that.

Edit

#1 2012-08-17 23:04:44

United States    maps12

Re: Original sin = Science ?

But why would science be a sin, it is our ultimate lifeblood.

#2 2012-07-17 14:48:31

Australia    Elemist

You've gotten the story of original sin wrong: the reason why they ate the fruit and "disobeyed" God was because the serpent tricked Eve into eating it.  Essentially there was a third party involved.  Hence, your original question regarding whether curiosity is linked to original sin is invalid.  Nowhere does it state in the Bible that curiosity in itself is sinful.  In fact nothing in itself (except for humans) is sinful, rather it is how you use that object (or how it is used) that registers it as sinful or not, therefore the means justify the ends.

Now as to your example ' "You can do anything except one thing" they will eventually do that' this is true: it is part of human nature to do that which we have been told not to do.  However, for Christians, this phenomenon would be explained as a sign of sin infecting human life; that because of original sin, all we do now is sinful.  The Bible is adamant on humankind's inherent sinfulness hence the emphasis for the significance of Jesus Christ (offering a solution to our sinful state).

From an atheist point of view, curiosity appears to be more like an instinct we have carried on with us since our earliest days (as a species) for obvious reasons: the individuals that explored more would undoubtedly have discovered more useful tools, more hunting grounds, better caves/shelters etc.  This instinct was most likely expressed in only a specific group of humans, and those humans would have procreated due to favourable conditions, and thus, the gene (or synapse linkage) would have been passed on.

These are two version of events I'm offering up.  I hope that this helps clarify matters.

#3 2012-07-16 17:38:33

United States    maps12

@SgtPeppers 

The scary thing is that atheists are growing, terrible.

#4 2012-07-16 14:04:23

Canada    SgtPeppers

@Iggy 

Because ask informed populace is the death of apathy.

Here is an example. Go on a site like Youtube. Most people in the western world use it, so one would expect that the demographics would match that. The thing is, they don't. Go on any video based around religious discussion and the atheists will outnumber the theists 50 to 1, but in real life atheists are outnumbered almost 3 to 1 by christians. The only way to account for the anomaly is to examine the internet itself. It is essentially one massive information pool, you can verify and cross examine any claim and the result is that religion on the internet gets drowned out. That is what religious leaders most fear, that the populace will be exposed to the fact that other ideas exist, because once that happens, some people, not all, but some, will question, reject and leave. They will raise their kids to disbelieve and so eventually the number of believers, which before was most of the population, is now two small to hold together by peer pressure alone. That is critical mass and that is the pint when a religion either liberalizes (like the Anglican church) or withers (like the Catholic church).

#5 2012-07-15 19:57:40

United States    calibur

@Iggy 

Because if curiosity were followed to its extent it would lead people to question not only the religion, but also the Jewish religious authority...

#6 2012-07-15 15:20:16

Ireland    irishgenius

Man is the original sin!.Science,the original sin?.That is absurd and im a Christian!.Science is understanding the world god has made,but does not govern.

#7 2012-07-15 14:02:58

United States    maps12

why not just say people are born pure.

#8 2012-07-15 11:37:57

Croatia    Iggy

@SgtPeppers

that actually made sense what you have sad.
ill contemplate about that.

but on the topic, can anyone tell why would write something like that, attribute greatest of sins to curiosity?

I guess ill have to join other debate about is technology evil (not moral, against us) or not.

#9 2012-07-15 00:13:02

Canada    SgtPeppers

@Iggy 

There are more than 7 cycles in pregnancy and viewing the story as metaphor seems more a way to dodge its absurdity than to actually account for its errors.

#10 2012-07-14 19:59:15

Croatia    Iggy

I don't think its that simple.

Bible is tainted with shit, i agree but there is a lot of powerful studies in there.

And i think story of creation is a story of human birth. Seven days can be connected with seven cycles fetus goes trough in pregnancy.
And i believe the act of original sin is very very connected to puberty.
Still can't connect all the dots.

#11 2012-07-14 19:50:39

Canada    SgtPeppers

@Iggy 

Because the bible was written by a bunch of Ignorant goatherds who didn't understand the world around them and were so terrified of god that they didn't want to understand.

As for sin, I don't understand why you bother with an arbitrary label which has utterly no meaning or morality behind it.

#12 2012-07-14 18:22:33

Croatia    Iggy

Well i understand and respect the seven deadly sins.
I also respect science and i base my life around it and curiosity.

To have something like Bible state that curiosity is sin, that it is bad, it disturbs me because i can't understand it.

If my statement is true i want explanation why would someone write that in Bible?

Last edited by Iggy (2012-07-14 18:23:24)

#13 2012-07-14 18:08:22

United States    calibur

Your last statement is true, but... What is the point you're trying to get at here?

#14 2012-07-14 17:56:08

Croatia    Iggy

Original sin = Science ?

This is the original sin in short: God gives Adam and Eve all the freedom except to eat the from the 1 tree in all creation. Eventually they disobey him.
Is this a metaphor for human curiosity?
As you may know curiosity is root of science, everything scientist do they do in the name of curiosity. Only thing that drives scientists is curiosity.

Can this be linked to the original sin written in bible?

I mean we can see this behavior everywhere. You can be sure if you tell someone "You can do anything except 1 thing" they will eventually do that.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com