Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Other - Room 1
  • » Are all men Equal? by irishgenius
  •    Are all men born equal?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2WNkgjYWf0[/video]

Edit

#21 2012-08-06 03:47:03

United States    maps12

Re: Are all men Equal?

@SgtPeppers 

I don't;s understand why race would be removed as a factor, please rephrase.

#22 2012-08-06 01:42:07

Canada    SgtPeppers

@calibur 

Russia- at the peak of its power when Europe was at its warmest, making the climate in the main area (the European part), about the same as what you would see in the rest of Europe
Scandinavia- same, a warming period made the temperature more mild and winters shorter, during this era, these nation thrived
India- I would argue that they never really formed a great civilization on the scale I'm talking about (think China, England, France, Egypt, etc)
Inca- the only notable exception to this rule that the documentary noted (along with the maya, but they were similar, if separated)

#23 2012-08-06 01:25:49

United States    calibur

@SgtPeppers 

What about Russia, Scandinavia, India, and Inca?

#24 2012-08-06 01:11:14

Canada    SgtPeppers

@maps12 

That would only be relevant within certain contexts. Sure Europeans are well developed for a moderate climate, but ask them to survive near the equator and they are in trouble. I actually watched a documentary which posited that people temperate regions succeed only because they are in temperate regions. This is supported by the fact that every major civilization has been born in an area which was (at the time) comparatively moderate in terms of temperature. If true, race could be totally removed as a factor in success.

#25 2012-08-03 18:12:32

United States    maps12

@Hephaestus 

Well what of you saw races as the same common animal but with different distinct features.  Examples:  Nepali people are small in size, indo Europeans developed languages similar to each other. Maybe one race is superior to the others in a certain category because of nourishment, and history.

#26 2012-08-03 17:50:43

United States    calibur

@Hephaestus 

I never stated that it was inclusive.
By your example, sure, gender's not the only factor, but it obviously is a factor, the lowest percentage of men being 65%. Even the race (or gender) being a factor itself is not really caused by the race, but race is nonetheless a factor.

#27 2012-08-03 14:13:09

Indonesia    Hephaestus

@calibur 

Really? How? You know, I think even if we have statistics we won't be able to prove that. For example, if the 80%of engineers are green-skinned people, and the other 20% are purple-skinned people, would that make green-skinned people better at maths and engineering? I think not, at least not necessarily. Other factors may apply.

Let's take a real-life example. According to a 2002 study, the highest percentage of engineering degrees awarded to women was 35%, and the lowest was about 8%. The number of men is heavily outnumbering women. Would that make men smarter at engineering than women? Of course not, we might have a woman among that 8% who's better than all of the other men, right?

So I don't see how you can say that about races because, well, I can't see anything that can be used to measure the intelligence of race. Which is why I think race doesn't do much to help one's intelligence.

Last edited by Hephaestus (2012-08-03 14:15:19)

#28 2012-08-02 19:19:52

Mexico    sismetic

@Hephaestus 

Yes you are right, Im sorry. I meant spiritually/mentally. Physically we don't have the same potential, I may be born without legs, so have absolutely not the same running potential as Usain Bolton. You are totally right, I agree...you can go higher with motivation than somebody who is "better" than you, but lacks motivation.

#29 2012-08-02 06:53:19

Indonesia    Hephaestus

@sismetic 

I agree on most parts. What I don't agree with is how you said physically we all have the same potential. This:

"Now, I do think we all have the same potential"

I agree most with SgtPepper's way of classifying people: The exceptional, the average, and the leftover. I think even if a few babies were born and raised under the same conditions they won't turn out the same. Some people are born with genetic mutations that hamper their potential. However of course, certain things can be overcame with enough determination. Someone who studies little for a test can get better marks than someone who's studied all night.

#30 2012-08-02 06:12:32

United States    calibur

Let's put it this way: certain races are more likely to produce exceptional people in certain disciplines.

#31 2012-08-02 02:13:50

Mexico    sismetic

@maps12 

Thank you :) I really appreciate it

#32 2012-08-02 02:01:50

United States    maps12

@sismetic 

Spoken by a wise headed person.

#33 2012-08-02 02:00:31

Mexico    sismetic

I would have to say, we are NOT the same, neither spiritually nor physically.

Let's start with spiritually. I think we spiritually we are all created equal, but that we choose differently and now we are different.

Physically. Well, the most obvious is that we're different physically in simple observable ways. Example, skin, height, weight, race..etc... Now, I do think we all have the same potential, and in essence we are all the same, we're all spirits and as humans we all have some basic rights.

Now, Im talking in a general way, and that means, that I as a mexican am different than another mexican, and both of us are different than an american. We all share some basic things, like we all can learn, make mistakes, hate, love, feel joy, pain...just not in the same amounts.

I also don't believe some races are inherently better than another ones. I do agree that humanely, this might be so on a general way...a group that has had no or limited access to proteins and water and are generally malnourished would generally don't have the same cognitive abilities than another group that has had plenty of access to water and other nutrients. Spiritually it might be the other way around. Either way, you can't say mexicans are better/worse than americans because you simply don't know, and not ALL mexicans are better/worse than ALL americans.

#34 2012-07-24 09:15:00

India    chankya

White pride world wide

#35 2012-07-24 05:22:46

United States    calibur

Not to mention that the difference between chimps and humans is like 3%.

#36 2012-07-23 16:19:33

Russia    NikoLStak

@SgtPeppers 

Well this low percentage change body's apparence(not only colors), why it could not change brain's functionning?

#37 2012-07-23 04:43:50

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NikoLStak 

The DNA which accounts for racial differences is about 0.001% of the genome, and there is no established relationship between racial genes and intelligence. Also the difference is to minimal for subspecies to even apply. In fact, barring anomalous relatives (say an immigrant from one of the areas in question to the area within the past few generations) odds are that the average genetic difference between, for example, Russians and the English, is lower than the difference between either of those groups and North Africans, because they split away a greater amount of time ago.

#38 2012-07-21 14:01:33

Russia    NikoLStak

@calibur 

Thanks for definition. It's a better english longue skill.

#39 2012-07-20 19:15:36

United States    calibur

@NikoLStak 

The definition of a species is basically a group of animals that can produce fertile children with eachother that cannot produce fertile children with another species.
No, if anything, the races are merely different sub-species.

#40 2012-07-20 16:50:54

Russia    NikoLStak

@SgtPeppers 

There is no evidence of it, but I am convinced that the racial differences does not only concern apparence. Since when nature is fair between different races?

Last edited by NikoLStak (2012-07-21 14:01:54)

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com