Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Society - Room 1
  • » Abortion by sismetic
  •    Is abortion morally wrong, right or of no consequence?

Is abortion morally wrong? Right? Neither?

Please indicate your position and your argument(s).

I know there's another debate, but I wanted to renew it, besides it's a little different. This isn't about should it be legal, but if it's moral...

I'm pro-life and believe that it's morally wrong to abort a baby because it's a life, and furthermore it's a human life with human basic rights namely that of right to live. I will expand my view as people post....

Edit

#161 2012-08-02 22:50:37

Russia    NikoLStak

Re: Abortion

An accidental pregnancy, it happen, but when the women is just irresponsible and can't keep her legs together, she should assume her acts.

#162 2012-08-02 22:46:03

Russia    NikoLStak

@calibur 

Spermato and I don't know the english word for female equivalent are nothing but pockets of DNA... They dies during women's week and by millions each time a guy evacuate them, whereever he do it. I don't see how he could be against birth controll pills.

Last edited by NikoLStak (2012-08-02 22:48:06)

#163 2012-08-02 22:44:31

Indonesia    Hephaestus

Abortion. Really, I don't see what's wrong with it at all. The child wouldn't have developed the fear of death yet, so while it is alive, I think it's just like killing a plant. People save plants because they help us, not because they think it's cruel to kill plants. What's more, we don't know if the child will help us in the future, plants definitely will.

I do think that only the mother should have the right to choose to have an abortion though. Only the one suffering can know the pain, I said the same for the euthanasia debate. I don't think anyone should try to tell the mother what to do. But yes, I still see absolutely nothing wrong with abortion.

What do you think?

Last edited by Hephaestus (2012-08-02 22:46:35)

#164 2012-08-02 22:37:04

United States    calibur

@sismetic 

In some cases abortion can be better than being alive... Some people I know would've had that life...
Would it be any better than abortion if a sick, disformed, drug-riddled baby to be born and raised in a life of pain for 18 years?
Or a baby to be born unwanted to a family who can't provide two meals a day?
A 3-month developed fetus has a smaller brain than a cow, but we kill cows all the time...
From a very cold perspective, abortion is like removing an economically gangrenous limb.

So you're against the birth-control pills?

#165 2012-08-02 22:00:28

United States    maps12

@sismetic 

I mean it should not be so casual.

#166 2012-08-02 21:51:20

Mexico    sismetic

@calibur 

Sorry I didn't answer you on my view about birth control...been a little busy :P

Well it depends on the method, because abortion is a birth control method. But in general, as a prevention method, I think it's a personal choice.

For example, condoms, well, they just stop the conception, so there's no human life involved(sperm isn't human life). Everything after the conception I would deem it as abortion and wrong, everything before, just a matter of choice...

#167 2012-08-02 21:41:07

Mexico    sismetic

@maps12 

"Already has contributed to the world", well if it has already contributed to the world it's something against your argument rather than in favour. There's a reason children have priority in life-endangering situations, they are the future, they're the ones that are more evolved, have more potential for contribution to the world, have yet to live and due to evolution most are better in every way.

As for your other argument, I don't see the relevance of abortion with teenagers loving to tell others they did it(by it I think you mean sex)?

I don't think that viewing the making of children as normal is something bad, it's actually true, giving birth is pretty natural and good, it's the basic means to reproduce our species, why would that be bad? Because of the age? Well yeah, I don't think 14 is the right age, but that's a cultural point of view, it has nothing to do with evolution and survival of the species...

#168 2012-08-02 21:34:50

Mexico    sismetic

@calibur 

But the baby is not an extension of the mother like an arm...it's not an extra limb. It does have individual life, it reacts independently from the mother, if the baby feels pain, the mother doesn't, the baby has a whole separate body, even if it's attached by the umbilical cord to the mother. It is individual life.

"How does that make it any different from an amoeba?" Well, mostly because it's human, it's a member of the homo sapiens species, it's a human life so it has human rights. Whether amoebas should have rights is matter of another debate, but at least the human baby has rights.

#169 2012-08-02 20:39:43

United States    calibur

@sismetic 

Life, yes. In the same way that an arm has life. Not individual life.

From conception? How does that make it any different from an amoeba?

#170 2012-08-02 20:36:50

United States    maps12

@sismetic 

The mother is a living working being who already has contributed to the world.  I think abortion is only right when it endangers the mother, otherwise the mother should learn to take care of children.

In my country teens have children at 14 and 16, this is really bad because everyone sees the making of children as a normal thing to do, instead of a secretive practice people love telling others they did it.

Last edited by maps12 (2012-08-02 20:39:53)

#171 2012-08-02 20:18:49

Mexico    sismetic

@calibur 

Supposedly it begins at conception. Im not a scientific or anything, but I think it begins since conception.

Also, for something to be "alive" in the known and accepted view of the word it has to have most or all of these things:

Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, electrolyte concentration or sweating to reduce temperature.
Organization: Being structurally composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.
Metabolism: Transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.
Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.
Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity as well as the composition of metabolized substances, and external factors present.
Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism) and by chemotaxis.
Reproduction: The ability to produce new individual organisms, either asexually from a single parent organism, or sexually from two parent organisms.

According to wikipedia anyways.

A baby has at least organization, metabolization, growth, adaptation, response to stimuli. The only other things are homeostasis, which it probably has, but I can't confirm or deny it(have no proof of either) and reproduction, which it has the same as 6 year old kid, none can actually reproduce, but both have the possibility in them.

So, an unborn child has life at least at the moment you find out you're actually pregnant. So by all means, it does have life...

#172 2012-08-02 20:10:55

Mexico    sismetic

@maps12 

Ok, the mother has a right too, but why should the mother's life be above the baby's? I would only see it as something justifiable, if the pregnancy endangers the mother before giving birth, so it actually endangers both the baby and the mother...

#173 2012-08-02 19:55:02

United States    calibur

As I said in the other forum, although you wouldn't know that, this is entirely a matter of opinion. The single question is: when do you believe individual life begins? There is no definitive scientific evidence on the subject and it's doubtful there will be for a long time, because we don't really have a definition for when a baby becomes an individual organism, so it's untestable.

Also, if you believe abortion is immoral at any stage, what about birth control?

#174 2012-08-02 19:45:12

United States    maps12

I say it is only right if the mother is in danger.

#175 2012-08-02 19:36:36

Mexico    sismetic

Abortion

Is abortion morally wrong? Right? Neither?

Please indicate your position and your argument(s).

I know there's another debate, but I wanted to renew it, besides it's a little different. This isn't about should it be legal, but if it's moral...

I'm pro-life and believe that it's morally wrong to abort a baby because it's a life, and furthermore it's a human life with human basic rights namely that of right to live. I will expand my view as people post....

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com