Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Techology - Room 1
  • » Fate by Hephaestus
  •    Is it real?

Okay. So Sismetic and I touched upon this subject for a bit (strangely) in Sismetic's debate on abortion, and I wanted to ask for the opinion of others on this specific topic, which of course has nothing to do with abortion. I'm just going to explain the subject now.

Fate. When I say "fate", I mean a predetermined course of events. The concept that the past, present and future are all predetermined, that there is only one version of how things happen and nothing can change how things were meant to be. "Fate" seems to mean "How God arranged things for us" but that's not the point. God, nature, whatever you want, but the existence of "fate" means that nothing in existence can bend the already predetermined timeline of how things happen. That every single thing you are doing now was planned, and all of us are just following this schedule of events we cannot defy. Before I explain my opinion, I'd like to hear what the others have to say first.

Edit

#1 2014-07-25 00:30:46

Taiwan (ROC)    Archduke

Re: Fate

@Hephaestus

Your definition of fate seems to be in conflict with Many-worlds interpretation.

#2 2012-08-30 03:01:48

Canada    SgtPeppers

Okay, can I just direct people to this debate http://www.theworlddebating.com/viewtopic.php?id=222 which has this discussion already underway, because I really don't want to rewrite all my points.

#3 2012-08-25 02:17:41

Indonesia    Hephaestus

@calibur 

Yes, I was trying to find a nice short word for it so the title in the front page wouldn't be too long.

#4 2012-08-25 02:09:56

United States    calibur

In a purely scientific incarnation, this debate is called determinism vs. liberatarianism... I wish I could believe the second, but I find no reason not to be determinist...

#5 2012-08-24 21:32:20

Ireland    irishgenius

I don't personally believe it exists.When I do something I do it because I want to do it.I'm not being controlled by a larger force or forces.And I'm a Catholic.

#6 2012-08-24 14:41:20

United States    maps12

@Hephaestus 

Well, it is known that everything that has happened and will happen already exist in a frozen river of time.  Isn't this debate kind of like the one about libertarianism and determinism.

#7 2012-08-24 08:29:17

Indonesia    Hephaestus

Fate

Okay. So Sismetic and I touched upon this subject for a bit (strangely) in Sismetic's debate on abortion, and I wanted to ask for the opinion of others on this specific topic, which of course has nothing to do with abortion. I'm just going to explain the subject now.

Fate. When I say "fate", I mean a predetermined course of events. The concept that the past, present and future are all predetermined, that there is only one version of how things happen and nothing can change how things were meant to be. "Fate" seems to mean "How God arranged things for us" but that's not the point. God, nature, whatever you want, but the existence of "fate" means that nothing in existence can bend the already predetermined timeline of how things happen. That every single thing you are doing now was planned, and all of us are just following this schedule of events we cannot defy. Before I explain my opinion, I'd like to hear what the others have to say first.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com