Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Politics - Room 1
  • » Japan/China island disputes by Dannovick
  •    Debate on the recent territorial dispute between Japan and China.

In the past few months China and Japan have been disputing over the claim of several islands in the east china sea. After weeks of negotiations they show no signs of settling this dispute. Now china has sent several vessels to recon the islands. This has caused the U.S. to warn China that they will defend their Japanese ally. Also the U.S. and Japan have been training to defend the island while China has been reported to be training to take the islands. Could this lead to an armed conflict with China? I pose four main questions that we should debate.

1. Who do you think has the territorial right to the islands?
    2. Will this lead to an armed conflict.
    3. Will the threat of U.S. intervention deter China from going to war with Japan?
    4. Do you think that the U.S. should support Japan even if this could escalate the conflict?

Gimmie your thoughts.

,Dannovick

Edit

#1 2019-10-06 16:09:54

United States    Ernest100

Re: Japan/China island disputes

Japan and the China have the most people who have experts in their field. They are working to make the work easy and possible for the normal person who just want to do it. water damage restoration

#2 2014-07-10 14:46:58

Taiwan (ROC)    Archduke

@IVort
I look forward to the day China has territorial disputes with Ukraine because it exists....but no one's mentioning it.
And well, people, the whole of eastern Asia & half of central Asia was China's tributaries until some greedy brutes came in and took land from China proper whose descendants say we want everything. Ridiculous.
Something solid that China is the rightful holder of these islands? How about in the 19th century the shorties said "We need to take the islands from them". How the (*) in the world do you take something from somebody if it's not theirs? mad paper

#3 2012-10-13 13:09:57

Ukraine    IVort

@americaneag
It appears that China needs everything. PRC had territorial disputes with almost every neighbouring country and slowly takes all claimed territories. It is the matter of chinese honor or something. Now it's japanese turn to argue with stubborn China. We'll see how long Japan holds on.

#4 2012-10-11 12:23:46

United States    americaneag

Giving the history between China and Japan, I get why the chinese won't back up. But I mean come on... China's huge do they really need those islands?

#5 2012-10-10 16:16:13

Russia    NikoLStak

@calibur 

I taugh about replying this too but I expected it's answer; It's a very small territory and if none can intelligently claim it, nobody should have it.

#6 2012-10-10 02:11:30

United States    calibur

@Dasding23 

But then the Chinese would lose the islands, and the Japanese lose the islands. They would both be angry at whoever destroys it.
Not to mention, If we just destroyed land whenever there was a territorial dispute we wouldn't have an earth.

#7 2012-10-09 19:51:58

Germany    Dasding23

There could be another possibility: after reading that some Japanese politicians said that they wish "that the islands weren't even there".
Why not blow up the islands?

No Islands no territorial dispute. As easy as that

#8 2012-10-09 16:41:05

Russia    NikoLStak

Both have need and historical right on it. But considering that Japan made a giant step by turning off all their nuke plants(It require a lot of guts), they need it more. And deserve it more.
A thing like NK and SK maybe, some random warning by millitary exercise around the islands and a lot of intimidation, but no shooting war.
3. Will the threat of U.S. intervention deter China from going to war with Japan?
Like if China already feared USA.. They never feared Soviet Union so USA? Nah.
4. Do you think that the U.S. should support Japan even if this could escalate the conflict?
Japan wanted Russians islands too, if USA had said a word, it would not have changed a thing since they have nothing do do in these history. Putin didn't gave attention to this dispute for this reason.

#9 2012-10-09 12:18:35

Germany    Dasding23

I am a majoring Japanese studies and i am also studying Chinese studies
so that's why I am very interested in this conflict.

2.First of all in my studies i learned that the data for either side is inconclusive. Each claim is a somewhat "qualified claim" and at the same time neither is.
In my oppinion neither party should get hold of the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands because neither party was using it in terms of living there and I think that territorial claims should always be founded on usage or on people living in said territory. There are some historical maps from the Chinese side(s) and some accounts of Japanese fishermen using the islands temporarily but i think one could not draw any rights for territorial claims from that (or how would it be if Great Britain made a claim for North America because some historical maps show it as a part of the Empire, or if Russia made a claim for Alaska because some fishermen were using it some time ago).

Also, before there were the first exploration data towards the end of the 60s which revealed, that there are rich natural ressources in the area no one even bothered with some uninhabitated rocks in the middle of the sea. So in the end it is all about ressources.

2.To answer your question of the probability of military intervention one must look which side has the greater determination get hold of the area.

Firstly Japan:
After the Tsunami in 2011 and the plans for abolition of nuclear energy following the big catastrophe of Fukushima, Japan really needs ressources to still their hunger for energy. the Japanese Island itself have very few natural ressources so they need to import basically everything until they have built up a sustainable energy supply from wind or whatsoever. The exclusive zone around the Senkaku islands has a lot of natural gas, which would come in handy for the transitional period from nuclear to natural energy production.
Also there are many rightist Japanese who never overcame the trauma of Japan losing the war so not 'losing' even more territory plays an important role in their self-concept.
And also the Japanese love to eat fish (who doesn't wink ) and don't want to lose the fishing grounds.

Secondly the Chinas:
China was the leading economic and military power of the world almost all of the time from 2100 BC until the 1600s and all the time during history the territory of China was growing. Until the Westerners arrived with superior military techniques etc.
The trauma of the unequal treaties and the loss of power during the period of imperialism plays an important role in the founding myth for both, the Republic of China and the People's Republic of China. All politics in China has basically one aim: to re-claim Chinas rightful place as the leading superpower in the world. One big part of that is bringing back the former territory (which is also why they invaded Tibet. It once belonged into the Chinese influential sphere and was considered a province of China).
The growing economy and its nearly insatiable hunger for ressources plays also an important role in the geostrategic politics of China.

I would say that the People's Republic of China has the greater determination to enforce their claim with violence but they are still far from being able to lead an offensive war (right now they still work on their ability to defend themselves).

My conclusion from that: There won't be a war at least not a full-scale war. Maybe we see some minor shootings etc. but nothing that is unrepairable.
The three economies of the Chinas and Japan are also too intertwined that any party could even afford to goe to war with the other.

In my oppinion there should be other solutions to that problem. for example the joint exploitation of the natural ressources in the area.

4. The U.S. should not support Japan in the scenario of a war. This would only lead to escalation. WW3 here we come! so no, thanks.

TL;DR Neither should have the islands and joint exploitation of the ressources and there will be no war and the US of A should stay out of this conflict

Last edited by Dasding23 (2012-10-09 12:20:21)

#10 2012-10-07 21:47:14

Ukraine    IVort

I don't think the armed conflict will occur. It rather will continue as some sort of long term diplomatical dispute like Russia and Japan now have. But it can be a little threat that China will try to take the islands with force (as in case of the border conflicts with USSR in 1960-s). In that case U.S. will try to solve the problem without force because I don't think America has a desire to fight China, especially in that region.

But. Everything's possible.

#11 2012-09-29 03:47:07

Russia    Michael

Main thing is that it's not the other countries's business - China an Japan should solve this problem by themselves - they both are strong enough for it and have equal rights for these Islands. As well as they have some islands sharing with Russia - it's only our business with Japan, nobody should interfere, except peacemakers, of course.

#12 2012-09-28 02:22:44

United States    calibur

1: I really don't know.
2: Perhaps.
3: I think so, but China is clearly quite Ballsy...
4: Yes. I'm tired of China bullying all of East Asia, just saying it owns territory and taking it, and they have the guts to do so to a superpower? Not one of the high triad, but a superpower nonetheless.

#13 2012-09-27 06:34:22

Cuba    Dannovick

Japan/China island disputes

In the past few months China and Japan have been disputing over the claim of several islands in the east china sea. After weeks of negotiations they show no signs of settling this dispute. Now china has sent several vessels to recon the islands. This has caused the U.S. to warn China that they will defend their Japanese ally. Also the U.S. and Japan have been training to defend the island while China has been reported to be training to take the islands. Could this lead to an armed conflict with China? I pose four main questions that we should debate.

Gimmie your thoughts.

,Dannovick

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com