Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Techology - Room 1
  • » Hacktivism by Hephaestus
  •    What do you think of Hacktivism?

Hacktivism, according to Wikipedia, would be "the use of legal and/or illegal digital tools in pursuit of political ends". That defines it nicely; Basically, it is activism through hacking. It is, of course, often illegal. A good example of hacktivist groups are Anonymous- you may have heard of them, the anarchic collective of hackers wreaking havoc in everything on the internet they think deserves it. Internet vigilantes. So. Do you agree or are you against hacktivism?

Edit

#1 2014-07-25 02:11:56

Taiwan (ROC)    Archduke

Re: Hacktivism

I hope to be like them too, powerful enough to express or even impose my will on certain things. geek
Sometimes that means going criminal, but hey, law is but the rules of the gang called the state. lol2

#2 2014-07-25 01:49:09

Taiwan (ROC)    Archduke

I know if they attack SWIFT, it's really going to be shocking. Al Qaeda never had the sense to do that though.

#3 2012-10-04 19:06:05

Russia    NikoLStak

I approve these activists. As long as they limit their activities to sabotages and not thieving. It is a much more peacefull but much more damagable way to make things move... It all activist were hacktivist violence would be strongly reduced. Activist are supposed to be fair so I don't care about Anonymous sabotaging some rich guy's plans.
Is there anything that Anonymous or any other Hacktivists have done that could be shocking?

Last edited by NikoLStak (2012-10-04 19:08:42)

#4 2012-10-02 23:52:00

United States    calibur

What you're really asking is: should things generally considered positive acts even though they are technically against the law, even strongly so, be accepted?
I think, on a small scale, yes. However, you would have to judge it on a case-by-case basis, it's subjective, and therefore the bureaucratic costs of regulating vigilante justice would be too much. It would be unfeasible.

#5 2012-10-02 08:08:19

Indonesia    Hephaestus

@maps12 

Well, Al Qaeda's an organisation. Nonetheless they're terrorists. Should these activists be treated the same as terrorist organisations, or critical but peaceful ones?

#6 2012-10-01 12:41:29

United States    maps12

They are an organization, loose but nonetheless one.  They must be treated as one as well.  I believe that being able to be an internet god is not good.

#7 2012-10-01 09:19:10

Indonesia    Hephaestus

@calibur 

The purpose?

Anonymous has launched DDoS attacks (in short, fucking sites up, sometimes beyond repair; not only websites, this includes personal networks and such) on the Universal Music Group and the Motion Picture Association of America a day after SOPA protests, and the sites of The Church of Scientology. Also a few times on the US Department of Justice or FBI networks, too. Even the Pentagon.

One of their activities everyone pretty much agrees with is the taking down of a child pronography site on the Deep Web (private internet sites you can't just go to) called Lolita City- they've also exposed personal information of the members. Another unrelated hacktivist who calls himself The Jester had once attacked all of the WBC's sites.

Those are a few of their activities which I remember. I guess the main reason people hate them is because they can pretty much do anything they want to the internet. But unlike normal hackers and crackers, you can see that what they fight is mostly things the People are against. SOPA, Scientology, the WBC. But in the end, it's illegal. So I still haven't reached a conclusion here. Are they doing what's right?

Last edited by Hephaestus (2012-10-01 09:24:04)

#8 2012-09-30 15:03:20

United States    calibur

I guess that depends on whether I agree with the purpose. In this case, no. In others, perhaps.

#9 2012-09-30 13:27:50

Indonesia    Hephaestus

Hacktivism

Hacktivism, according to Wikipedia, would be "the use of legal and/or illegal digital tools in pursuit of political ends". That defines it nicely; Basically, it is activism through hacking. It is, of course, often illegal. A good example of hacktivist groups are Anonymous- you may have heard of them, the anarchic collective of hackers wreaking havoc in everything on the internet they think deserves it. Internet vigilantes. So. Do you agree or are you against hacktivism?

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com