Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Other - Room 1
  • » Can we decide our fate? by Hephaestus
  •    Are our decisions the cause of chain of events, so could we predict our actions?

I'm not going to bring religion into this, but we all know that everything around us is controlled. Controlled by the unbendable law of nature- the way things work. Without this law, everything would be in total chaos. Everything has a certain way of working, and there is only one such way, for example: If you throw a ball in the air to the height of x metres, it will touch the ground at y seconds; that is something we can calculate because we know what happens. If the ball is thrown at x metres it WILL hit the ground after y seconds, and there is no way different results would show.

Now, wouldn't it be the same for our brain? There is only one way things could work, so there is only one way the brain can work. If someone was asked to choose between A and B, and he chose B, wouldn't that be the result of some extremely complicated chain of events occurring before that was all, in turn caused by other events, all controlled by the law of nature? Wouldn't that mean that there is only one predetermined road of time, and we can do nothing to change it?

Edit

#1 2012-07-12 05:50:42

mamzy

Re: Can we decide our fate?

I've been stuck with the same question for a while. The metaphor that I use to explain it is "Is the universe just a set of dominos waiting to collapse one by one?"

Honestly, I have always thought that everything has a reason, but it seems as if I go with that philosophy I'll have to accept fate, which I seriously don't intend to.

#2 2012-07-11 04:51:01

Russia    NikoLStak

You can predict it, but only by knowing very well the person... On the other hand, everybody is unpredictable on a certain percentage.

Last edited by NikoLStak (2012-07-11 04:52:03)

#3 2012-07-11 03:40:41

United States    calibur

Quantum Physics says that nothing is definite until it is measured.
By this logic, you cannot predict our choices.
However, "regular" physics says the opposite, as Hephaestus, the god of the forge, explained..

#4 2012-07-10 13:29:26

Netherlands    ferox

Well, I do not know or have an answer to this question due to the complexity of our, brain and the complexity of the universe itself, because brain decisions may vary because of a single cell in the brain.

But there has been a study that a decision is made by the unconscious mind seven seconds before the conscious mind does (Link). please bear in mind that this research was based on a decision with only two options, decreasing the complexity of the decision.

#5 2012-07-10 11:59:48

Indonesia    Hephaestus

Can we decide our fate?

I'm not going to bring religion into this, but we all know that everything around us is controlled. Controlled by the unbendable law of nature- the way things work. Without this law, everything would be in total chaos. Everything has a certain way of working, and there is only one such way, for example: If you throw a ball in the air to the height of x metres, it will touch the ground at y seconds; that is something we can calculate because we know what happens. If the ball is thrown at x metres it WILL hit the ground after y seconds, and there is no way different results would show.

Now, wouldn't it be the same for our brain? There is only one way things could work, so there is only one way the brain can work. If someone was asked to choose between A and B, and he chose B, wouldn't that be the result of some extremely complicated chain of events occurring before that was all, in turn caused by other events, all controlled by the law of nature? Wouldn't that mean that there is only one predetermined road of time, and we can do nothing to change it?

Last edited by Hephaestus (2012-07-10 12:08:42)

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com