Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Politics - Room 1
  • » Patriotism: Good or Bad? by Hephaestus
  •    Is patriotism obstructing peace?

Patriotism. Loving your country, ready to sacrifice yourself for your country. All of us want peace, we all know that. But wouldn't being proud of your country require you to be biased? To think your country is better than others? To want your country to have victory? Wouldn't that desire to be the best bring conflict? Wouldn't people "cheat" in many different ways to lead their country to victory?

But why shouldn't you love your country? The land you were born in? The land of your people? The land your heroes fought for? Why would it be wrong to be proud of your country?

Is patriotism in the way of a peaceful world?

Edit

#1 2017-04-14 14:48:24

Taiwan (ROC)    Archduke

Re: Patriotism: Good or Bad?

@SophiaPagka 

In my opinion loving and defending your country and people is totally acceptable as long as you are not hateful towards other countries/nations.

The thing is attitudes often end up this way. Like a classmate of mine said, it happens or it doesn't.

#2 2015-07-08 20:05:30

United Kingdom    Higgins

@crossel 

Why should everyone love their country?

Can you love your country when there is no freedom, when your government spies on your?
Can you love your country when it starts wars, kills innocent people, terrorise other countries?

It's Oscar Wilde who said "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel".

Last edited by Higgins (2015-12-23 12:22:55)

#3 2015-07-06 16:35:21

United States    crossel

Patriotism is needed because it gives the drive that everyone needs to love their country.

#4 2015-06-29 21:58:52

United Kingdom    Higgins

I think patriotism is out of fashion.
People do not choose where they were born, and many have no choice where they live, so why should they support blindly their country?
I do not understand the concept of patriotism in the 21st century.

#5 2015-06-09 17:38:01

United States    crossel

No I don't think that Taiwan will go to war with the US however if we were to go to war the US would win because of our will power and drive and the desire to succeed. Plus we have great weapons that would destroy Taiwan.

#6 2015-06-06 20:04:57

Taiwan (ROC)    Archduke

@crossel 

Do you think that the US would go to war with Taiwan? Think again.
  Give me one, understandable reason that would happen! (I appear to have made this request more than once and I still have no glimpse of the reason behind your ideas)(said reason may happen not to exist rendering debating impossible).
  Dash it all, what does this have to do with patriotism? Don't pull the debate off course!
  Back to topic, Tibetans as a whole are clearly torn between their cultural heritage as epitomed in the Dalai which is akin to nationality acceptance and the patriotic teachings of the Government. So secessionist movements appear in Tibet and none appear in the capital because there are no other thoughts in the capital but other thoughts exist in Tibet(I will NOT use the term patriotism because whatever you think Tibet is currently a part of China). Whatever this is or shall be remembered by, it causes inharmony,so I personally think that if social stability is the only factor considered, it is bad.
  P.S The US has nukes. Taiwan has 0. End of conversation.

#7 2015-03-11 23:29:53

United States    crossel

Do you think that Taiwan will win against the US? Think again. Tell me I would like to know what kind of weapons does Taiwan have or do you just have Taipei 101?

Last edited by crossel (2015-03-11 23:30:06)

#8 2015-02-19 05:32:25

Taiwan (ROC)    Archduke

Well I believe patriotism stands in the way of peace so long as it doesn't belong to one political entity;vice versa. It is obvious in all the civil wars the world has seen, an axiom of history.

So there is no good or bad of patriotism. It is but a tool, for example an army, is there a good or bad of an army?

#9 2015-02-19 05:28:06

Taiwan (ROC)    Archduke

@crossel 

Well first of all so long as the Taiwan strait cuts China apart the US will not, WILL NOT, go to war with Taiwan.

And I am very confident our personal battle will end in my favor. lol2

#10 2015-02-18 01:58:04

United States    #armcannons

First of all I think overall the us is more driven but not opponent shall be overlooked

#11 2015-02-13 15:13:01

United States    crossel

Maybe, but Taiwan will be defeated. This is because we in the US are ready for anything. We have MORE technology than Taiwan. Taiwan is a small island and while they may have the 2nd tallest building in the world we aren't afraid to move.

#12 2015-02-07 19:23:44

Italy    dc2009

Apparently Archduke and crossel will be at war soon. Best wishes in your quest for global domination. Incidentally, my ancestors did a fine job until about 180 AD when it all started to go down hill. By 476, the western empire was done. Todays Europe is the result of "nationalism and patriotism". Everyone wants to rule the world.
Perhaps, accepting that we are all people of the Earth and working to extend the same freedoms and rights we want to others would ingratiate rather than alienate potential enemies.  Education helps, too.

#13 2014-11-02 15:32:26

United States    crossel

Look patriotism is very important. It's what drives the economic and war machine. If no one had patriotism then wars would not be one and the economy would be in shambles.

#14 2014-07-11 20:51:05

Taiwan (ROC)    Archduke

Well we Chinese are driven slightly mad by many things in the last 150 years, so we are hell bent on retaking both what was ours and what we think was ours. neutral

Undeniably that's not friendly, but considering that the pups that bark at our gates weren't that friendly when they just grabbed a share of things without remorse paper I don't feel too guilty.... geek

Last edited by Archduke (2014-07-11 20:59:47)

#15 2012-09-14 22:21:12

Portugal    Vradonam

@maps12 

And what defines the country's values?

The values of a country are given by vote ,individuality of people, and history, all together, making the values of a country something that is very hard to define.

If you consider that the values of a country are given by its history and government, then the patriotism based in that will probably be a bad patriotism in the way that will probably be very agressive to other cultures and countries.

But, on my opinion the values of a country should have almost nothing to do with the government. Though, i admit that the government holds an important role on a country values when elected, because theory is one thing and reality is another.

For me, a country's values shouldn't exist as something that could be standardized, it should be something particular to an individual, wich transforms the patriotism in a really relative concept.

Like I said before, I am very very proud of my country's history and culture, but I would never turn it into an impirialist feeling or value. So, when it comes to patriotism, my patriotism is quite harmless.
And, with this point of view, I allow myself to support a European Union without abdicating my patriotism.

#16 2012-09-07 12:38:10

United States    maps12

Patriotism is a lie if the people do not support their country, or its values.

#17 2012-09-06 21:01:46

Russia    Michael

it's difficult question when some country wants to create a union (Eurasian Union, EU or Asian Union and so on). In a union the country, especially the initiator of a union, must not be too patriotic, because the other countries in this union would feel bad (especially if they are different like in EU) - the countries must be the patriots of whole union not just themselves. Too strong patriotism also leads to wars. There must be balance of patriotism and friendship to other countries, especially today, in time of global economy.

#18 2012-09-05 17:03:39

Portugal    Vradonam

Well, this is a funny subject because in portugal you will find that people have a love/hate relation with our country and that creates the love and fear for nationalism! Besides, we had a dictatorship for a long time, so, now the extreme right wing parties are illegal wich calms down the nationalism.

I don't counsider myself a nationalist, but I confess, i'm in love with the portuguese culture and the place i live in. Would I live in another place? Hell yes! Would that change my love for my culture? Hell no!

This particular kind of thinking allows me to be "nationalist" and not be hateful towards other countries (in our case, Spain, for example).
And when you think about it, countries, regions and etc, were founded on the concept that, someone had a different perspective of how they should do things and etc, so the thought "lets form up a country". That creates hostilities when collinding with other cultures, but with the advances of mankind we should now be able to understand this.

I personally think that this is a good theory to follow, though I think it has flaws, and urge you to point ou to me, so I can correct it!

#19 2012-07-12 08:27:37

Poland    HighFive5

Patriotism is good in a decent way, because over a one level it becomes obsession which becomes in e.g. nationalism. It`s good to wave your country`s flag during important events, but if you are waving it outside your country without reason, it`s bad.

#20 2012-07-12 06:06:43

Ukraine    vjaworski

Patriotism in some ways can strengthen a community or group if held to an accountable amount. There is no one straight answer for is it good or bad, depending on how one may look at it in the light of the situation. As with anything, if it patriotism is forced on the people around it, it can cause disruption and disagreements between people. It is good to have pride in your country but extensive pride that can  become offensive can cause problems in the same way extensive pride in anything can cause a conflict.

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com